The 40

A/N 10 down, Penelope and Grace died of the flu

A/N 10 down, Penelope and Grace died of the flu. They were quarantined, as are a lot of people now. It's spread really far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You don't have to, Dru, it's not worth the risk." Caila had been trying to talk me out of ever since I'd finished my rounds twenty minutes ago. "I don't want you to do anything stupid, these people need you." Her voice pleading- her desperation growing as I reached the quarantine tents.

"She needs me too." I ignored Caila's furrowed brow and pushed aside the thin material that was serving as a wall. "I made a promise." I whispered to myself, eyes scanning for Abby. Beyond the wall there was a small section made for myself and Rukma- a cleaning station if you will. We had told each other we weren't allowed to go beyond the other wall separating the cleaning station and where the people lay- dying.

The people understood, the moment anyone felt it coming on they would walk here immediately- knowing it would put the lives of everyone here at risk. They all had loved ones here- ones they would do anything thing for if it meant them surviving. I really was in awe of how selfless these people were being.

Before me was about 5 make shift beds, but there lay about 15. People were doubled over, emptying the contents of their stomach, discharging blood all over the sand. There were tears stained on the cheeks of those who knew it was coming. There were no screams, however, to an outsider it look as if everyone had made peace with it.

"Druey!" The young voice perked up, catching my attention immediately. I ran straight to the wall, dropping to my knees as I watched Abby pulling herself along the ground to get over to me. My heart squeezed as it felt like all the wind had been knocked out of me- she wasn't far from the end.

"You came to see me." Her hands reached out for mine, I held onto them threw the material between. As much as I wanted to pull her into my arms and sooth her I couldn't even feel her hands and I hated myself for that. I reached out and some how tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. The material was so thin and so see through I allowed myself to pretend like it wasn't there.

I pulled her head onto my lap as she collapsed; she'd used up all her remanding energy trying to pull her way over to me. I ran my fingers of the top of her head, wishing I could feel her delicate hair- press a kiss to her forehead and let her know it was all going to be okay. But I couldn't lie to her.

When she tried to turn her head up to look at me threw the material I was haunted by the look in her eyes. It was still so optimistic, full of life and love. A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "Mum left to you know, she promised she was going to see me soon so I thought you'd bring her with you."

"Don't worry, Abs, I have a feeling you'll find her pretty soon. I'm sure she misses you more than anything." I whispered comfortingly, my hands still on her head when I felt the first tear drop. My comments had caused her smile to grow even further and I couldn't help but smile back at her.