The 34

"They need you more out there than we do in here, I thought we'd gotten past this Dru." Rukma was stood between me and the quarantine, her hand pressed up against my chest in an attempt to stop me and me.

She must have followed me when I snuck away from the groups of people preparing to leave. I sighed in defeat and backed off from her, knowing I was going to fight a losing battle. It was my idea to split up and search the island. My idea to leave as soon as possible to find the teenagers before anything could happen to Cara. But I still felt guilty leaving Rukma to look after all these people.

Jenny was staying back too, but only to look after Addy who was in no state to be walking around. When I'd found the 7 year old her Tibia had been poking out of her shin. She was healthy, fought off any infection that came her way but we all knew she wouldn't be leaving base. Jenny had begun to take care of the girl after he parents died, refusing to leave her side for even a moment.

I was grateful to know that people like Jenny here, protecting others so selflessly- it was just what everyone needed.

"Go. Just take care of them all." Rukma gave me a soft push before she turned and entered the quarantine. So I did. I walked over to where everyone was gathered on the skirts of the forest.

Everyone had a pack of some sort on their backs, even the children like Ari and JJ. Ari was sat with between his sister Freyja, Elena and Gemma- with Joe still shoving things into his pack. It didn't seem right to see Ari and Freyja with out their sister Lola but that morning I'd spent hours sat over her and her mother watching them come to terms with how they were dying. At least they had each other. Joe wasn't as kept together, his hands trembling as he brought the bottle to his lips for a sip. I watched as Gemma held onto his arm, making it possible for him to actually take a sip.

My eyes filtered over to the next group, James, JJ, Nisha, Chadna and Dailia. Elena and Dailia had to split up, insisting they had to cook their groups- they were no use in the same group. Chadna and Nisha sat there silently beside him, barely moving unless it was to occasionally respond to whatever Mason was saying. JJ seemed oblivious to the fact that his mother and sister weren't by their side, his small laugh could be heard as he threw something at Ari's head. James, on the other hand, looked broken. He was smiling down at his son but his eyes told a different story. He was covered in dirt, blood and cuts but he always refused to let me help him. I respected his strength, the way he was there for his son- but I knew that eventually he'd have to break down.

The next group had Emmet, Mason, Caila, Jesse and Vincent. I made my over to that one. They all looked up when I made it to them, but my eyes met Jesse's. He was supporting the faint black eye that I was proudly the creator of. After I'd punching him I'd made him leave, it may have taken Vincent dragging him away- but he did leave. I didn't have time to lose my control around him anymore, but I also couldn't have him in another group. I didn't trust him to look after those people while I wasn't there.