"Pull over, let me drive for a while."

Modern AU

"Hey." A voice knocked you out of your senses, even your focus on the road ahead. You faced the man beside you who is looking at you with his head tilted sideways, eyes cold but warm at the same time, and raven hair that parted almost at the middle.

"Hey." You replied, smiling lightly as you focused back on the road, blinking a few times before exhaling deeply.

You were on the road to a beach where you and Levi would be spending the next four days in silence. The past week had been busy for the both of you due to long hours of stress and work. He'd be coming home in the morning as you would pick up the keys of your sedan to leave for work. In days like these, you would flash Levi a tired smile before he would hug you and say, "Don't worry. Keep sane brat, we'll be having good shit soon." Though those words were not as comforting as it seemed, it calmed you instantly. The only times you would spend together were dinner and sleeping time at Saturdays. He never did admit it, but he was missing you. That is why once he was done with his major work that kept him away from you, he booked for a vacation so that he can finally have some time with you. Unfortunately, he came down with a flu a night before your departure. You insisted on rebooking it on some other day but he stubbornly packed your things along with his. Thus, you driving the SUV with a sick Levi beside you. He drank his medicine he told you, but you did not sway in your decision of driving for him. "(Y/n), come on, I am fine now see?" He took your hands to place it on his forehead but you took them out of his hold and placed the bags on the passenger seat before hopping in the driver's seat. "No. You grab your jacket and warmers now and let's hit the road, shall we?" You smiled at him, he just let out a groan before climbing in. "Damn it." He mumbled as he fumbled with the seatbelt. You caught yourself smiling as you noticed a sleeping Levi after a few minutes of driving.

It has been 9 hours from that conversation, and Levi was now awake. He was constantly nagging you about you driving and about how you are already sleepy and you needed rest. "(Y/n) for fuck's sake, look at yourself. You look like shit. Now stop being stubborn and pull over." He said loudly as he faced you with the same blank face he usually had.

"No." You said in return, maintaining your focus. After that, there was silence. You sighed thinking that finally he stopped.

But your thought had been proven wrong as a hand gently held your wrist, and a soft voice saying, "Pull over, let me drive for a while." Levi stared at you and you were shocked to see him like that. Rarely were there times that he showed this side of his. And if he did, it was because he really needed something or he was terribly bothered by something. It was not Levi-like but thinking that he was really concerned for you made you slow down the car before pulling into a full stop on the lay-by road. He smiled lightly before unbuckling his seatbelt and walking out the car. He opened your door and he stood there still smiling at you. "(Y/n) get your ass out of that seat now will you?" He said and you complied.

As you stepped down and turned towards the other way, Levi took a hold of your hand and pulled you in him. He embraced you tightly before kissing the top of your head. "I missed you brat." He sighed placing his chin on top of your head. He was short, but compared to you he wasn't and he was thankful for that. You smiled closing your eyes as it captured the passing lights of the cars zooming past the both of you. You thought to yourself what was happening and why was he like this. But then you thought that this is how he says 'I love you'. He only utters the damned word rarely, but you do not mind. It was rather endearing for you on how he does it in his own manner.

"I missed you too." You whispered, not giving a damn of the fact that you were both standing on the side of the highway hugging each other.

Little did you know that Levi was smiling, his eyes closed too. 'Fuck the world' he said in his mind, for he was contented and he still felt home miles away from their abode.

______
unedited