...War is ...

A month after...

Wednesday 2 2014

Thank you, Anjie, for the pictures and the provisions. You have no idea how much you've helped me. I really appreciate it.

       I'm sorry I haven't been able to write. The war here in Afghanistan is... well, a war— Devastating, sad, painful, horrible.

      To your question, I joined the army of my own volition. I, how do I put it, love the thrill and the feeling of excitement. I also love to give to countries that require help. That's why I'm here in Afghanistan fighting. I am what they call a Combat Personnel or War fighter.

      Just recently, a Lebanese restaurant in the Wazir Akbar Khan area of Kabul was bombed. Heard that a total of nineteen people—as at the time of counting — were killed. The withdrawal is still going on. I'm among the 200 troops to have been withdrawn.

      As for killing, which is a very funny question; yes. Yes, I have killed, not murdered. Though it's not my wish, but for the sake of Afghanistan.

        I can't fully discuss the army with you, seeing as it's a matter of confidentiality. Some things are better left secret as required by the Army. My apologies.

    I'll cherish the pictures. In a place where the only things to be seen are blood, destruction, death, a picture of life, of green, of peace is greatly and deeply appreciated. I bet my brothers*² would love this. Thank you very much.

:-)

    I'll be expecting your next letters, and thanks, as well, for the provisions.

Luke Winters.

A/N

*¹  Know this : Depending on the soldier you choose— combatant, trooper, engineer,etc— you may or may not receive your letters from your adopted soldier regularly. In this case, my soldier is a Combat Personnel, I.e,  he does the actual fighting.

*².   Brothers;  Soldiers refer to their fellow soldiers as brothers. Why? They form a special bond with themselves on the warfront.