Chapter Nine

C

I look over at her, the girl with her head in the pillow and her hair spread around her face like a halo. Rory's torso rose and fell with long intakes of breath. The pulsing in my head increases, and I lay back down on my back. Fuck, was I hungover.

The memories from last night come back all at once, and I remember breaking down in front of the girl who was laying next to me. Last night, finding out Rory's real name was Lorelei and that she'd found her soulmate hurt and I was a wreck. God, I was a complete wreck. All because of the soulmate system, and not because this girl broke up with me. But because I thought maybe I actually found her. With a sigh, I look down at the name on my wrist. Who the hell was she?

I take another look at Rory, who slept with her arms tucked into her chest. What soulmate curse did she inherit? Maybe she was given a tattoo, like me. And if that was the case, I could move her bracelets to see whose name she donned. But I wouldn't. So instead of doing that, I turn over and go back to sleep.

--

R

I wake up on a mattress, and this time I'm fully aware of where I am. Calum and I had fallen asleep after watching A Christmas Story and talking about what would happen if we were alone at Christmas (which was the case for me, but the last thing I wanted was Calum to pity me.)

"Hey, you're up." He greets from my side, and I nod in reply.

"Hey," I answer, sitting up and leaning my head against the headboard. Calum closes the notebook he was holding and puts it to the side.

"Breakfast?" He asks, making his way off of the mattress.

"Yeah, that sounds great," I agree, following suit and going down to the kitchen. Soon enough, we're side by side, eating toast.

"Thanks for coming last night," The golden brown boy says, scratching the back of his neck. I nod.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay." I admit, staring down into my cup of orange juice. Other than alcohol, these guys stocked up hugely on orange juice and I was grateful. Orange juice was my favorite.

"So, how was your Christmas?" Cal questions, changing the subject quickly. I shrug a little before answering.

"I ordered takeout and watched Christmas movies on me and my best friends' shared Netflix account," Is my reply, being accompanied by a small laugh. He chuckles in reply and takes another bite of toast. "What about you?"

"Mikey ordered pizza and the guys and I just played Fifa." He laughs, shaking his head. "Why didn't you tell me you'd be alone?"

That question takes me by surprise. Why did he want to know?

"I didn't want to bother you," I admit, which was true. Bothering Calum was the last thing I wanted to do. Calum simply laughs in reply.

"Believe it or not, you don't bother me. I like talking to you." He states, and my stomach flutters in response. I hope he doesn't notice my blush. Instead of responding, I clear my throat.

"Have you finished your Creative Writing assignment yet?" I ask, changing the subject.

"The poetry one? Yeah, have you?" He questions. I'd finished it last night way before Michael called me.

"Just last night," Is my response, after I laugh. I see him smile a little out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly he turns to look at me.

"Question," He declares, and I look at him.

"Potential answer," I reply.

"So, on the 31st, a bunch of us are having a small New Years party. Would you want to come?" Calum proposes, and my insides churn in excitement. I felt like a middle school girl who just found out her crush likes her.