Chapter 1: The Beginning of the End

Chapter One - The Beginning of the End

Sabrina Khan stared up at the building that towered over her. It was beige colored, with shiny windows and the words New Hope High sprawled over the entrance. Students filtered in and out of the school, searching for friends and gathering into groups. Girls squealed and hugged fiercely as if they hadn't seen each other for years and guys fist bumped and exchanged nods.

It was a beautiful, bright day and the rays of the sun bore into Sabrina's back. Birds chirped nearby and a soft breeze whispered through the air. The weather was the total opposite of what she was feeling, though. She figured no one felt happy on the first day of school. Not to mention it was a new school, in a new neighborhood. She glared up at it, darkly.

Her family had recently moved which meant she had to say goodbye to her old high school - and with it - her friends. At least she did know one person who went to New Hope. Just as she reached for her phone to text said person, she heard a loud shriek behind her.

Sabrina turned to see her best friend, Leila Patel, sprinting towards her. Her hijab flew around her head and her grey eyes danced in glee. Leila pounced on Sabrina in a huge bear hug, causing the girls to burst into delighted giggles. Sabrina was super happy to see her best friend, whom she had known since they were toddlers. Her familiar face brought back happy memories and the years they had spent together.

"Assalamu'alaikum." Leila said, breaking the hug. Sabrina returned the greeting while Leila stared at her with a look of awe on her face.

"What?" Sabrina asked, "why are you looking at me like that?"

"Cause, I just cant believe we'll be spending senior year at the same school!" Leila said. "I've missed you so much these past couple of years."

"It'll be like the good old days." Sabrina agreed, thinking back to the time they studied together in Elementary and Junior High.

Back then, New Hope wasn't in Sabrina's district, so she wasn't accepted into the school at first, which meant she had to enroll in another. Her Junior year in high school had been tough since it was the first time she had been without her dear best friend. But now that her family had moved into New Hope's district, Leila and Sabrina could spend their final year together. It almost made the fact that she was going to a brand new school not so bad.

"C'mon, lets go!" Leila exclaimed, gesturing towards the entrance. "By the way, I love your outfit."

Sabrina smiled in thanks and looked down at her dark blue blouse and her black skirt,  topped off with a lilac colored hijab. As they made their way towards the school, Sabrina's attention was drawn to her friend's clothes.

"Um...why are you wearing that?" She asked, slowly. 

Knowing Leila - and she had for about thirteen years - she never left her house without her Gucci tote or her absurd, neon-colored high heels. Today she wore blue track pants and a simple grey hoodie. A plain light blue hijab was wrapped around her head. To say the least - she looked the exact opposite of her usual high end, top model self. Also, her tote bag was MIA which was a first, as far as Sabrina was concerned. She wondered if Leila had changed a little bit too much in the past couple of years. 

"What?" Leila asked, looking down at herself. "Oh I just though you know: it's the last year and everything, not to mention the Diploma exams so I thought, you know, I should focus on school this year," she mumbled, turning pink.

Sabrina stopped dead in her tracks and stared at her best friend. Leila stopped too, frowning in confusion.

"Is this a dream?" Sabrina sighed, placing the back of her hand on her forehead, dramatically. She pretended to swoon. "Is Leila Patel really letting go of her inner fashionista to focus on school - of all things?"