Chapter 15: Even More Bad News

Chapter Fifteen - Even More Bad News

"I just cannot believe this." Sabrina mumbled for the third time. 

The three girls were huddled around Emaan's locker on Monday morning still recalling the events of Saturday night. Sabrina had woken up with the same numb feeling she had felt that night, and her head was light and dizzy. She didn't want to accept that Khalid had run over a man and left him to possibly die. That wasn't the Khalid she knew. 

He's changed so much, she thought.

She'd checked the news this morning and they were doing a piece on Saturday's event. Hit and run, the news reporter said through her glossy lips. She had long gleaming hair that tumbled down her shoulders in waves. Her teeth were too white. Her voice was fake. Sabrina had listened to her words fade while her mind drifted away.

Could it have been Khalid?

"I think I know a way to find out if it was really him." Leila announced, breaking Sabrina out of her thoughts. 

Sabrina groaned as she realized Leila was transforming into her reckless little self. She hated Leila's plans. They were too mischievous and made her feel heavy with guilt. The look on her face was alight with an evil grin. Emaan on the other hand had never experienced the extent of Leila's infamous schemes before.

"Tell us." She asked, curiously.

"Okay, listen." Leila said, lowering her voice. "We sneak over to the Weed Bush and spy-"

"NO WAY." Sabrina gasped, her eyes widening. "Are you crazy? We'll get caught!"

"What's the Weed Bush?" Emaan asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, just the unofficial term for where all the druggies hang out. It's the perfect spot to catch up on the latest rumors." She said, waving her hand.

"Where is it?" Emaan pried.

"It's literally located in the middle of that small forest behind the school, in a clump of bushes and small trees. Hence the term 'Weed Bush'." Leila explained before turning to Sabrina. "And how would we get caught? Everyone will be too stoned to notice us."

"Yeah well, stoned or not - I'm sure someone will when I walk in with my big black tent on." Sabrina scoffed, gesturing to her abaya. "And besides, there's no need to spy - it probably wasn't even Khalid." She continued with a shrug. "It'll be a waste of time."

"I dont think so." Leila muttered under her breath, her eyes flashing with determination. 

Sabrina left them after saying goodbye, heading to her first class. Emaan told her she would meet her there. Sabrina walked slowly down the hall, her eyes scanning the hallway. So far she hadn't spotted Khalid yet and it probably wouldn't matter if she did. Maybe the fact he wasn't here yet meant he had almost run someone over two days before. But maybe it didn't, though. Maybe he woke up the next day and didn't even care if he had nearly ended someone's life.

* * *

Sabrina was doodling in her notebook during Second Class - which happened to be Biology - when the teacher announced that the class should gather into groups to work on the current assignment. Sabrina suppressed a groan, knowing full well no one would offer her to join their group so she pulled out a pencil and got to work on the assignment alone. Half the material made her blush and cringe and a picture of a baby being squeezed out of a small hole didn't help at all.

I hate this class! She thought darkly. And why is the umbilical cord wrapped around the baby's neck?

She shoved the awful picture away and pulled out a book, when a muffled conversation caught her attention. She heard Khalid's name more than once which made her instantly curious. She casually glanced behind her and observed two boys who were huddled together in a pretty loud, but private conversation. They either didn't know she could hear them or they plain sucked at whispering. Sabrina listened to them, growing horrified at what she heard.