Chapter 9: Don't Let the World Burn

Chapter Nine - Don't Let the World Burn

"Hey." Leila drawled, in a not-so-bad imitation of Khalid's voice.

Sabrina resisted the urge to smack herself. What does she think she's doing? Emaan stared at Leila, her mouth slightly open, her eyes wide. Leila, on the other hand, ignored their looks and was trying to suppress laughter. She put the speaker on and held out the phone in front of her. On the other line, Leena could be heard shrieking like a little girl.

"Omg, you texted me?" She sounded awed. 

Sabrina rolled her eyes, while Leila smirked.

"Yeah, listen." She said in a husky voice, " I wanted to ask you if you were free today."

Sabrina gaped at Leila who smiled back sweetly. Her eyes swam with excitement. Sabrina slowly shook her head but didn't dare to sat anything. If Leena found out...she couldn't imagine her anger. She couldn't even believe how she was falling for Leila's fake voice! But she was apparently, for she gave a small gasp which was followed by a clamour of hushed voices.

Sabrina guessed that Leena's phone was on speaker too and her friends were huddled around it. She didn't know what to feel. Annoyed that none of them were smart enough to see through Leila's sham or anxious that they might be able to. She was caught between rolling her eyes and biting her nails. 

"YES." Leena squealed, and then cleared her throat. "I mean sure...why?"

"Well," Leila said, "Wanna meet me at Lazia's for dinner at six?"

"Oh wow." Leena cooed. "Is that a restaurant?" 

Emaan shook her head, while Sabrina bit her lip trying to keep back a snide remark. No, its a Museum, she thought sarcastically, cause people eat dinner at Museums. Leila's face turned red as she tried to hold back laughter.

"Yeah, so what do you say?" Leila went on when she settled down. "Wanna meet me there. I would pick you up, but..uh..my ride is gettin fixed."

Sabrina raised an eyebrow, catching Leila's gaze. Leila stared at her, a small smile flickering across her face. She's loving this, Sabrina thought, slightly annoyed. Sabrina didn't want revenge on Leena. She didn't believe in revenge. When Leena finds out she'll loathe us, Sabrina thought. And that's the thing about revenge. It doesn't solve the problem - it makes it even bigger. 

"Sure!" Leena agreed happily.

"Well then, see ya later." Leila said, shutting off her phone. The second it was off, Emaan and Sabrina exploded.

"WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU THINKING?!" Sabrina shouted.

"What if she finds out!" Emaan yells.

"Are you crazy?" Sabrina whispers. "As soon as that girl finds out it was us, she'll kill us!"

"What makes you think she'll find out?" Leila asked, raising her eyebrow.

"Well," Sabrina scoffed. "When you don't show up tonight - unless your planning on dressing like Khalid and reconstructing your face - she'll do whatever she can to track down your number and ugh...we're doomed..." Sabrina trailed off, her head spinning. 

"I don't think she's smart enough to track down my number." Leila smirked. "She didn't even notice that a girl was pretending to be the guy she's madly obsessed with!" 

"True." Sabrina said, reluctantly, "But she'll find out sooner or later." 

"I don't see how." Leila shrugged. "If she calls my number again - I wont pick up."