Chapter 16 - Part 1: The Plot

Chapter Sixteen - Part One: The Plot

Unknown P.O.V

I loved nighttime.

I loved the crisp, clear smell of the air after the sun had set and the world was plunged into darkness. I loved the shadows that stretched out before me as the leaves rustled on the trees. But most of all I loved the fun and noise that the night brought.

Music was blaring loudly as I approached the club where Reed told me to meet him. He wasn't anywhere to be seen so I pulled out a cigarette to steady my nerves. It did a spectacular job - as always - and I relaxed as my muscles loosened, the aroma of the smoke swirling around me. My frantic thoughts settled down but didn't completely vanish. I still couldn't get my mind off the gang and Reed.

He'd called me and that was why I was here. I'd been thinking of joining the gang for awhile now but had never really been confident I would get in. Sure I had the Arab blood - the only real requirement - but could I be accepted into the Ghetto Lords?

I heard they beat up non Arabs and stole and sold drugs to get by. They weren't really violent but they did carry guns and knives. They were a gang after all. Khalid had often urged me to join after he did himself, but now he apparently dropped out - as if you could - and Reed wasn't too happy about that. And now Reed - the leader of the notorious gang wanted something from me.

I wasn't stupid. I knew he probably wanted something done but maybe he knew I wanted to join? Maybe if I did whatever he said I had to do, he would let me? Before, I wasn't sure if I could get in but now it seemed pretty likely. I smiled to myself as I thought about it.

Clicking sounds interrupted my thoughts and I looked up to see two underdressed girls approach me. They smiled through shiny teeth and I found myself sweeping my gaze down their bodies. They flipped their hair and giggled when they noticed me eye them but I didn't have time to flirt with a couple of desperate chicks. I pulled out my phone, holding it against my ear and pretending to answer it. I said a bunch of random things and the two girls walked passed rather disappointed. Putting my phone back in my pocket, I smirked as they left.

I was back to wondering what Reed could possibly want of me when the devil himself showed up, his pants drooping down his backside. He sauntered up to me with his grim face, wearing a huge leather jacket that looked ideal for hiding drugs and small stolen items, in it. Someone once told me he was half Arab and half Mexican. I believed them because he was a rough guy, with a mean voice and a quick mind. He grinned, flashing his yellow teeth.

"Sup, bro." He greeted, thumping me on the shoulder. "How you doing?"

"Same old, you?" I replied, studying the small smirk that was playing across his face. He always looked slightly amused as if he was mentally making fun of you. His eyes narrowed.

"Spectacular," he answered, dryly. "So how's the family?" He asked.

I stiffened at the question.

"Why?" I growled. My family wasn't the easiest subject and he knew it.

"C'mon man," he said , his eyes darkly amused. "We take care of each other, remember?"

"We?" I mused, my heart skipping a beat.

"Well, yeah." He grinned, "you still wanna join, right?"

"Isn't there some kind of initiation, though?" I asked, trying not to get ahead of myself.

"Yeah, but you can pass it, I'm sure." He said, patting me on the back. "Listen, have you heard from Khalid?" He asked, suddenly.

"Not much." I said. "I talked to him a few days ago and he kept saying he was done with drugs and gangs."

Reed cursed in frustration, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it.

"I told him." He muttered through gritted teeth. "I told him this wasn't some kind of game or joke. This is real. It's serious. You can't just quit."

"Calm down." I laughed, raising an eyebrow.

"I can't. He can't just leave! I don't care if he almost killed someone - he's in a gang - people get hurt all the freaking time!"

"So what if he leaves -  he was always a wuss. Who cares?" I reasoned.

"Who cares?" Reed said slowly. "I do. I care. That piece of crap owes me way to much money to just leave and hide out at his mama's house."

"Damn." I muttered as I began to understand.

Debts were a big deal with the Ghetto Lords. If you didn't pay them back - there were consequences. Looking at Reed, I could tell he was seriously pissed about it.

"So, what are you gonna do about it?" I asked.

Reed didn't answer and instead stared across the street with hard eyes. They flickered with flashes of anger and then suddenly they became calm as if he'd come to a solution. I watched him, silently, as the music faded in the darkness. There were people behind us lining up to drink and dance the night away. I barely heard them though, because Reed's eyes were so dark that they seemed to pull me towards them. It was like gaping through a deep tunnel.

He turned to me then, a smug little smile on his face.

"You ever heard that saying: there's a thousand ways to get into crime but only one way out?" He chuckled.

"Yeah?" I shrugged, keeping my voice steady.

"You know what that one way is?" He asked and this time his voice sounded colder than usual.

I didn't answer, fearing the reply. Goosebumps prickled down my arms, as I watched him raise his hand to his throat and swipe it across.

____________________________________________________________

(Picture of Reed on the side)

So what did you guys think? Who do you think this is? And umm, woah, do you think Khalid will die?
Don't forget to vote and comment!