Chapter 10: Superheroes

Chapter Ten - Superheroes

"This will be the best shopping trip ever!" Leila sang happily, as the three girls entered the mall, making Sabrina roll her eyes.

Leila had practically dragged her here - against her will - for Sabrina had zero interest in shopping. Emaan only reluctantly agreed while Leila spent the rest of the day trying to convince Sabrina to come along. Sabrina's parents had given her permission which meant Sabrina had no reason not to go. That doesn't mean I want to be here, she thought, as she stood in the middle of a packed shopping centre, the smell of perfume and coffee making her nose tingle.

"Ah," Leila sighed happily. "After-school shopping is the best. Especially when your with your friends."

Sabrina held back a snort while Emaan nodded and grinned. Leila grabbed their arms and pulled them into the nearest shop. They wandered through aisles of designer clothes and brand names. Leila and Emaan seemed to comment on each and every item of clothing in the shop while Sabrina listened and mostly stayed silent.

As they exited, and entered another shop, Sabrina's legs were already sore and her head spun. She wasn't used to spending hours doting over clothes and shoes. The next shop they walked into had large glossy images of models on the walls and hundreds of shelves full of make up and beauty products.

Leila and Emaan paused in awe taking in the sight. Even Sabrina gaped at all the make up in the store. The distinct smell of face powder could be detected and as they walked across the polished floors they observed the different brands of lipstick and eyeliner. And since everything had a tester, Leila was soon running around testing everything in sight, while Sabrina and Emaan stood by and offered their opinions.

"What about this?" Leila asked, as she dabbed liquid make up on her face. "How does this look?"

Sabrina looked up from the magazine she was reading - or more like screaming "HARAAAM" in her head whenever she flipped the page to a very under-dressed female who looked like a raccoon. Beside her Emaan snorted at Leila.

"You look like a Dorito!" She exclaimed. 

At her comment, Leila bent her head and observed her newly tanned face in a mirror. She scrunched up her face while Sabrina added her thoughts.

"Yeah," Sabrina drawled. "Snooki called. She wants her face back."

Leila stuck out her tongue, while reaching for a make up removing wipe. She glanced back into the mirror and rubbed her face furiously, trying to get the make up off.

"It does make me look too tan, doesn't it?" She asked, while she worked at removing the make up.

Emaan answered with a snort and Sabrina turned back to her magazine. She flipped the pages aimlessly, waiting for Leila to hurry up. She desperately wanted to be at home, reading or curled up in front of the T.V. 

Finally, the three girls left the bright, powder-smelling shop and wandered around the mall for a bit. They argued whether they should stop by the food court and grab something to eat. Sabrina refused, while Leila and Emaan discussed weather they should buy drinks or snacks. But before they even reached the food court, Emaan shrieked and held out her arms, causing Leila and Sabrina to nearly topple over.

"Oh, thank God." Emaan said turning to the store they had stopped before. "I just remembered that I promised to get my little sister the supplies she needs for her Science project."

"Okay." Leila said slowly, looking up at the store - which happened to be Target.

They headed inside, as Leila led the way to the aisle that carried school supplies. While Emaan rummaged through boxes of glue sticks and pencil crayons, Sabrina ad Leila roamed nearby. As Sabrina decided to return to the place that she had left Emaan, a group of teenagers walked by. Sabrina froze and ducked behind a shelf, recognizing them as the kids who hung out with Khalid. Even though she didn't see him, she hoped Khalid wasn't with them as well.