Path One, Step Twelve: A Night Of Dreams?

I shimmy my way into the dress, being extremely careful not to accidentally damage it, and spend several minutes looking at my reflection in the mirror, barely able to recognize myself in the lavish gown. I was a bit concerned at first but the sheer fabric of the sleeves still cover the marks on my arms and the scar on my left shoulder is invisible under the soft cloth. I slip into the sparkly black heels Erik picked out for me, wondering if I'll be able to dance in them but find them surprisingly comfortable. I pause with my hand on the knob of the door and take a few deep breaths to calm myself before stepping into the hallway. As I reach the top of the stairs I'm met by the five brothers waiting patiently in the foyer dressed in elegant evening wear. James is the first to notice me and greets me with a smile.

"You look lovely, Miss." He compliments and Erik turns to face me, anticipation clear on his face. He looks me over as I examine him as well, exceptionally handsome dressed in all black aside from the deep crimson undershirt that dips into a low point and the scarlet rose pinned to his lapel, before looking over to his brother with a scowl.

"Don't insult her, James." He snaps before turning his gaze back to me as I descend the grand staircase.

"You look absolutely breathtaking, princess." He takes my hand as I reach the last step and graces it with a kiss as my cheeks flush the same dark crimson of his shirt at his unexpected compliment.

"If we dally any longer we'll be late. Shall we?" James cuts in with a smirk and holds the front door open as we file out to the cars. Once again Erik and I take my car and the others take theirs as Erik helps me into the passenger seat and we follow James to the ballroom.

It's much larger then I had expected, clearly built to host multiple events at once, and I marvel at the towering building designed to look like a manor. Erik hands the valet the keys before helping me from the car and I can't help but feel nervous as I take note of the large crowds of people entering the venue. He takes my arm and guides me towards his brothers waiting near the entrance, whispering to me as we walk.

"Just relax, I'll be right there beside you." I reward his kind and familiar words with a smile as we ascend the staircase.

The large double doors are thrown wide and many people linger in the entryway dressed in beautiful gowns and sharp suits of varying color, laughing and chatting happily as they wait for the event to begin. I spot Mr. Vandergon as we pass over the threshold and he makes his way towards us as he catches my eye.

"_______! I'm so glad you made it, I didn't get a chance to speak to you at Williams funeral. How have you been?" He greets warmly with a hug and a smile.

"I've been doing very well, thank you. I've been in good company." I smile back as I release him and motion over to the boys standing just behind me.

"Ah, yes! James, Damien it's good to see you again!" He steps forward and shakes their hands before turning to the others.

"And these must be your brothers." They introduce themselves quickly, returning Mr. Vandergons infectious smile, before he turns back to me.

"Your words at the funeral were very touching. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind saying a few tonight, it seems appropriate since this was originally supposed to be hosted by William." His face falls as he mentions my father.

"Isn't Daniel here?"

"Yes but he's hardly a spokesman for charity, is he? Besides I know how much this cause must mean to you." His words are true and I had been hoping for this chance.

"Of course, I would be honored." He beams happily as I accept and guides me to a set of closed doors just across the hall.

He pushes the doors open and I'm awestruck at the sight of the grand ballroom, more radiant than anything I could have imagined. I barely register the rows of tables lined along the sides of the room and the small orchestra set up on a raised stage in the back quietly preparing their instruments as my eyes are drawn to the impossibly large chandelier that hangs from the ceiling, the cascade of icicle like crystals that fall from it clinking together softly in the silent room, before moving down to the polished dance floor beneath it. I take a few steps into the room, momentarily mesmerized by the sparkling gold floor, and glance around. Along the right wall are several inconspicuous doors that swing open every few seconds as waiters and waitresses hurry to lay out trays of food and drinks onto the tables scattered around the room. The left wall is made of glass with a few double doors placed between that lead out into a hedged garden where a white stone fountain sprays water into the cool air.