Hazel

Told from Tyler's point of view

I opened the large, heavy, wooden door and stepped into a brightly lit room. I looked around for a second, taking in my surroundings, before my eyes settled in on her. She wore a hospital issued gown, but she smiled. I walked slowly towards her, smiling back. My eyes drifted down to her hands for a moment and I felt my heart skip a beat when I noticed she held something- someone, wrapped in a blanket.

The blanket was pink. It was a soft pink, a beautiful pink. I had stopped when I saw it, afraid of what would happen if I got too close. Jenna raised an eyebrow at me before she waved me to come closer. I walked closer to her, my heart picking up its pace. I took a deep breath once I got to her. I looked down at the creature in the blanket and smiled. The creature, the child, was sleeping, not making a single sound.

The second I saw the little child's face I felt love towards it, towards her. "Hazel Marie Joseph" I whispered, looking down at the newborn. I felt tears in my eyes as I watched the creature's little movements she made while she slept. "Want to hold her?" Jenna's voice broke through my thoughts. I turned towards her and nodded.

Jenna slowly lifted the sleeping creature towards me and I took her in my own arms. "Hi there Hazel. I'm your daddy." I whispered rocking the little, sleeping buddle in my arms. I turned my head towards the door as it started creaking open. Josh popped his head into the room. I watched as his eyes scanned the room, finally coming to rest on the pink blanket.

"Is it asleep?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper. "Yeah, she's asleep." I say. Josh steps into the room and closes the door, quietly behind him. He walks over to me. When he stops he looks over my shoulder, at the little creature who was asleep still. "If there was picture proof of how you guys are standing right now, everyone would say the baby is your two's and not mine." Jenna joked, still whispering.

"Can I hold her?" Josh asked. I looked over at Jenna, asking permission to give the creature to Josh. Jenna smiled and nodded. I carefully handed the creature to Josh. "She's beautiful." Josh whispered.

*****************************************

"Come on let me put to in her crib this time." I begged Jenna. Jenna looked my up and done before sighing. "You are the dad, so go ahead." She said, a sly smile on her lips. "Thank you." I said. Jenna nodded and handed me the child. Over the past few days I had learned that referring to the child as a small creature made Jenna a bit upset. So I had been adjusting to calling Hazel a small child instead.

I turned away from Jenna and headed down the long, white hallway. I stopped about halfway there and turned to look back at Jenna. She sat on the couch, on her phone. It had been two days since she started going back on social media, and I was still concerned that what had happened might happen again. I watched as she made a small smile before I started walking again.

This time I didn't stop until I got to the baby's room. I opened the door and stepped into it. I looked around at the room. There were stuffed animals on the floor and I smiled to myself as I noticed some books next to the rocking chair. I placed the baby in her crib and walked over to look at the book next to the rocking chair.

The Ugly Duckling and a Frozen book sat on the table. I smiled and walked over to the book case. I sat the books down. I then turned around and went to pick up the stuffed animals that had been left in the middle of the room. I placed those back on the book case and then looked around the room to see if anything else was amiss.

After finding nothing else that had to be picked up, I walked over to the crib and stared down at Hazel. She slept soundly. "Hazel, you are a special baby." I whispered, looking down at her. I heard a chuckle and I looked up to see Jenna standing in the doorway. I raised my eyebrow at her and she started walking towards me. "You are going to be such a great father." Jenna whispered into my ear. I felt her warm breath on my neck and it sent a tingle down my spine.

"I love you." I whispered to her. "I love you too." She said, turning to look at the baby. I looked at the little child too, but I placed my arm around Jenna's shoulders.