: 09 :

Light understood that darkness was very different from who he was; afterall like they said what was Darkness but the inherent absence of Light?

Chapter 9

ASTA DIDN'T  talk very much after her surprising speech. It seemed to Hermes that she had exhausted her full quota of words to him for that day.

He didn't mind it very much; they didn't have much of a relationship between them and although he was very talkative when he wanted to,he enjoyed the quiet moments that he got to experience.

"Next stop?" The mechanical voice in the car asked robotically.

"Switch to manual," said Asta softly.

Hermes itched to ask her why she would want to manually drive the car, but then reminded himself that the person sitting next to him was no ordinary human. She was Asta and the name itself now seemed to automatically spell mystery to him.

Rubbing the tips of her fingers against each other, she waited patiently (or impatiently, Hermes couldn't really read her) for the steering wheel to activate and the tiny light in its center to turn green.

Hermes gave trying to be subtle.

It wasn't very gentlemanly to stare so openly at a lady, but Hermes had nobody to impress.

Besides, it was Asta who was staring at. In his minimal amount of experience with her, it seemed to him that she could hardly care about what he did as long as it didn't bother her.

Also, she ignored him when she wanted to like a professional.

And right now it seemed that in her point of view, it was just her all alone in the car.

Trying not to sigh like Persephone when her mother talks about cereal and the importance of trying a different man and moving on from Hades, Hermes continued to watch.

Something that he was doing frequently now.

It was a new experience for the God; being the messenger of the Gods meant that he was constantly on the move.

(Oh Hermes! Ask Artemissy whether she heard about that new dating website I started sometime back? The matches are sweeter than Helen and Troy! I think we can totally destroy matchmaking.com if we go on like this!

Hermes, dont you feel tired relaying all this back and forth? Tell that woman, I am not interested. Oh, and please tell Hephaestus that the new bow he sent me is Apollo's not mine.

Hermes! Just the man I was looking for! Do you think this two ton, pure gold, rose I made would make Aphrodite love me more?

Hermes, dude! Can you do me a favor and give this little gift to that hot naiad over there? Thanks man! Owe you one!

Hermes! Hermes! Give this to Persephone, won't you? And tell her to eat it everyday! Every time she comes back to me, she looks like a stick in a dress! Absolutely disgraceful I tell you!

Hermes, give this to Apollo and tell him to go stab himself with his own arrow and die.)

Although most of  the messages he constantly relayed back and forth may not be of utmost importance, there were still some that could bring some drastic changes. And the Gods always had something to transport back and forth, which meant that he was always in his feet and extremely busy.

Unlike common assumptions, Hermes couldn't sit on his throne and watch the world. It was simply an impossibility that something is not happening in the world.