: 33 :

Darkness and Light realized that they were never alone together; turning around they finally saw the smiling Time.

Chapter 33

"I DON'T know, Hermes, I really don't," she had told him, her helplessness open for the world to see.

Hermes had always wondered what it would feel like when Asta finally tore down the enigmatic veil that hid her personality and came out in the open.

But as Asta's lips rose up to form a soft and easygoing smile, he suddenly realize for once, he had read a person wrong.

"But we'll figure it out," she said, her voice flowing like running water over a will power made of the strongest element that lay beneath.

The redhead had never hid behind a veil of enigma, she was the enigma. There were no secrets or facades, it was just her all the time. A woman who was everything that explained a human.

Asta was humanity.

"Hey, Asta. Hey, Hermes."

Pushing away the tinge of annoyance at the interruption, Hermes gave a welcoming smile to Rhea as she entered the room. Closely following behind her was Charlie, who only gave them a friendly wave.

He waved amiably and stood up.

"No, no, sit down, sit down," said Rhea hastily. Her fingers were feather light on his shoulder, but Hermes sat back down as though he had been pushed. "I just wanted to borrow Asta."

Rhea's left eye was painted to resemble a peacock feather, which looked down expectantly at a frozen Asta.

"Asta?" Rhea prodded gently.

Jumping, Asta looked her, then at Hermes and Charlie. "Yeah, yeah," hastily getting up and pushing back her chair she said, "I'm coming."

Spending a second to give the men a sparse smile, Asta stumbled after the sky blue clothed Rhea who had clasped a bangle covered hand around the red haired girl.

"She always loved bangles so much," said Charlie musingly, taking the seat where Asta previously sat.

"Rhea?" Hermes asked, pushing a button beside him to take the dirty plates away. Charlie pressed the one next to his own so that Asta's too, disappeared underneath the table along with his.

"No," said Charlie smiling, "Asta. She used to love them so much, now her hands are always so bare."

Hermes shrugged, feeling a little uncomfortable talking about Asta with Charlie. He had a feeling that the man did not trust him too much- the feeling was very much mutual- and talking about Asta seemed to be the worst conversation starter.

"What do you do around here, Charlie?" The topic seemed harmless enough and his name polite and foreign on his tongue.

"Just this and that," he said, waving his hand dismissively. "What is an Eta's life compared to an Alpha's, eh?"

Charlie was laughing and Hermes laughed along saying, "The world always looks a little different on the other side, Charlie. Trust me, there is hardly anything I could say that would interest you."

But the man that had claimed Asta's heart was no ordinary man to twist along with his words. The man simply shrugged and said, "But I've wanted to talk to you for a long time, Hermes. Let's make a little deal, you say a little about Alpha and I'll answer any question you want to ask me."

A teasing grin naturally slipped onto his face. "What makes you think I have any questions?"

"You're Asta's friend right?" Charlie leaned against his chair; harmless, amicable. "There's no way you won't have any questions."