: 27 :

In the end,
Everybody wants to be loved.

Chapter 27

"IT HAS BEEN three days, Miriam. And the only thing we know about her is that her name is Asta and she is not even sure of that."

Miriam was a small woman, but when her pleasant face broke into one of reprimanding sternness, Clark knew it was time he shut up. He warily looked at as her almond shaped eyes drifted away from him and focused on the girl at the far end of the room, swaddled so thoroughly in blankets that only her face and her dirty red hair could be seen.

"The girl is burning up like hell fire, Clark, I'd like to see you tell your life story when your brain is heating up like a tava." Miriam unwound the emerald scarf around her head without realising her actions and then retried it neatly in seconds with expert speed.

"I know, Jaan, but it's been three days-"

"And?" Miriam gave Clark a look that only a wife could perfect.

Clark opened his mouth and then stopped short, at loss words. When he had first met Miriam, they had been put in together unfortunate circumstances that only an Eta could relate to. But beneath her soot stained face he had seen a light that he had never seen before in any woman he had met; determination.

It was that same light that made him later fall utterly and completely in love with her. And it was that same light that he saw in her earthy brown eyes now.

Miriam was determined and Clark could type her a book, but she wouldn't listen.

Asta's sudden movement saved Clark from his problems.

"We are not done yet," said Miriam sternly and then hurried towards Asta with an aura of genuine concern. Clark followed her slowly; maybe he had been the one to save the girl from the rain, but that was all he knew to do. Miriam had always been the one to fuss over every injury and lend an ear any person who deserves it.

"Do you want some water?" She asked kindly, looking at the girl with open warmth and affection.

Asta's startling grey eyes though, did not seem to sense the hospitality that she clearly emitted and took in her surrounding with panicked speed. Miriam gently put a hand on the girl's shoulder, making her jump violently.

"Calm down, my dear,"she said with a motherly smile.

Her kids had all left for work far away from home-all five of her boys-and it had been so long since she could take care of someone, let alone a girl.

She picked up a small glass of water from the holder beside her and offered it to Asta. "Drink this, its good for you."

Asta stared at the glass as though she had never seen one before. She glanced once more at Miriam, who agave her a reassuring smile. Without a word, Asta gulped down the contents of the glass. Miriam filled it three more times until Asta gestured that it was enough.

"How are you feeling?" Miriam put the back of her hand fleeting over Asta's forehead before she could react and withdrew it almost immediately. But Asta flinched back anyway, trying to become one with the stiff backed headboard of the bed.

"Better, thankyou." Asta muttered quietly, burrowing into herself.

Miriam looked at her in surprise. "You speak English?"

"Yes." Asta said shortly. Clark's eye caught the deceptive glint of the crystals that beautified her fingernails as she wrung her hands together.

"Lets get you something to eat then." Miriam said with a smile, if she had noticed the most obvious sign that Asta was not from around, she did not show it. She got up, dusting her skirt as she did and walked towards the kitchen when Asta's voice stopped her hurriedly.

"No, please. You both have helped me too much already." Miriam's motherly instincts caught the frightened tone beneath Asta's voice even before Clark guessed it. The husband and wife shared a glance.

Asta got up from the bed hurriedly, straightening her clothes and grabbing the jacket draped over her with surprising coordination for a girl that had suffered high fever. At once Miriam rushed to her side and gently pushed her back to a sitting position.

She was surprised, Miriam was, but she knew that the frightened tone that hid beneath the girl's voice held a story that would take more than a stormy night to unfurl.

"Eat something and then leave."

"Please-" Tears glazed Asta's grey eyes. This time, Miriam couldn't hide her obvious surprise and shock at the  sudden display of emotion. "You have been too kind already. They can't know. They can't know. Please, let me leave. I am trying-"

Miriam knew that the girl would suffer a panic attack very soon the moment she switched languages. Gently, calmly, she held Asta's hand. "You wanted to thank us, no?"

Asta looked at her pleadingly, but Miriam refused to acknowledge it. If the girl needed to live, she would have to have something in her system to keep her going.

In the end Asta deciphered the stubborn glint in her eyes that had made Clark fall in love with Miriam when they were younger. She nodded hesitantly.

"Eat something then. That will be the greatest gratitude you show us. I can't have you leaving my house in this condition, Asta."

Asta looked so miserable that for a moment, tears stung the back of Miriam's eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry." She whispered brokenly, breaking down into tears. Miriam didn't know what she was saying, but she slowly held Asta's shaking shoulders and embraced her. The girl didn't try to fight her, but instead began crying with more fervour now.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

And then Miriam slowly caressed her rusty red hair and said quietly, comfortingly. "It'll be alright. Everything will be fine. Everything will be fine."