Chapter 4

• Dedicated to My Tiny Tina Fey :)

It was around midnight when I fell asleep in the car. Melina was driving, so I didn't feel like I had to stay awake and make sure she didn't crash into anything like I had to with Phoenix.

Then it happened.

A nightmare. I use to have them back at home. But they were never as vivid as this.

I was standing in a dark hallway. At one end was Melina and a large object next to her, she was crying. At the other end was Phoenix. He was handsome as ever and holding out his hand.

"Who will you choose? Coming with me? Or staying with them and losing an already lost cause?" 

I looked at Melina and the fallen object. I wanted to help them, but something was pulling me towards Phoenix. Before I knew who I chose, someone woke me up.

"Hey Aella, you ok?" whispered Melina as she pushed me awake. I looked at the dashboard. 5:02 AM.

"Yea, just a nightmare. Nothing new. You wanna get some coffee up at this gas station and switch?" She nodded. We picked up some coffee, juice, and nutter butters for when the boys woke up. I hopped into the drivers seat, and looked back at the two guys. 

Josh was looking adorable, and sucking his thumb. This must be so hard for him. Having to travel and face scary monsters. All while not knowing who his parents were. 

Then my eyes lingered over to Phoenix. Also looking cute. Even while sleeping he kept his sunglasses on. He didn't have his leather jacket on. It was over Josh, keeping him warm. I smiled. Phoenix was so sweet. 

"Are we going to get on the road? Or are we just gonna stare at the boys all day?" interrupted Melina. I jumped. 

"Oh, uhh, yea. Sorry." I said as I started up the car. After a couple minutes of silence, I spoke. "So is there anything going on between you and Phoenix?"

Melina laughed, "Goodness no! We're not even like brother and sister. Just friends. If that. He just scares me sometime with him being all serious!" 

Phoenix serious? After their long conversation last night, I never thought Phoenix would be serious all the time. He shared so much with her. His mom never got over Ares and so she always went out to bars to try and find him. Then he ended up with lots of little brothers and sisters. So he left. After that small bit of seriousness, he was all jokey with her. And they may or may not have kissed.

"Ok good!" I smiled. Relieved I wasn't going to hurt her if I pursued him. I then heard the sound of snoring and looked over and saw Melina fast asleep. I turned the radio on just a little so only my ears could hear. 

A Kelly Clarkson song came on. I sang along to it and others until I heard a cough behind me. I looked around and saw that Phoenix was awake. 

"You have a beautiful voice." he murmured. I smiled. 

"Here's some coffee, it may be a little cold by now." I said as I passed it back to him. 

"I can help with that!" chirped Josh, as he woke up. Phoenix handed him his coffee. Josh held it in his little hands and squinted really hard. He opened his eyes, and handed the cup back to Phoenix. Phoenix smiled.

"It's warm! Good job little buddy!" We drove south for an hour or two before the sun became unbearable. Even for my eyes. 

"Phoenix, can you give me your sunglasses? I can't see a thing!" I said.

"No."

"Why not! You don't need them. Please." 

"No!"