1 : Water

Edward

I stare at the girl who sits with her friends across the bonfire.

I don't know why, but there is something about her that holds my gaze and won't release.

But, how rude of me. Already starting the story and I haven't even introduced myself.

I'm William Henry III.

Not really.

My name is Edward James, but it sounds just as stuck up as William Henry III, so I don't see the difference.

I'm a senior, hopefully graduating at the top of my class, but the year is young.

And I'm addicted to the way this girl is.

The setting is a high school late-night bonfire. It's a homecoming gift of sorts, open only to the seniors. It's boring, of course, but it's better than staying at home, with the wondering parents and the curious siblings and-

But now I'm veering off-topic.

There are logs spread around for us to sit in as if the school was trying to imitate a campfire. It's all set up close enough to the forest that we can hear the animals but not close enough that someone can run in without getting caught by all the staff walking around. It's not mandatory to be here, but the woods aren't safe at night... Or so they say.

I'm sitting on the log closest to the forest, even though it's still far. This girl is across the fire from me. To my sides are my best friends, Jonas McCarthy and Steven Matthews. Sitting next to her are girls that I've had for a few classes.

Emily and Ruby, I think.

So I'm sitting here, staring at a girl who definitely wasn't here for the last three years of high school, while my friends compare their cars.

And I just can't stop staring at this girl.

She isn't beautiful -not by a long shot.

But she is eccentric and demands to be seen. The way she laughs brightens the night. When she talks -I can't hear her, but I can see her- she gets into her story so much, it looks like she's reliving it. And the way she looks at the fire sends chills up my spine.

I've never like fire, because fire and water just don't mix; I am quite literally one with water.

But if this girl likes fire, I'll willingly walk into a damn volcano.

Every now and then she gets quiet and just stares at that fire intensely. But then Emily or Ruby will say something that makes her laugh, bringing her back into the conversation.

After about two hours, I finally hear her name: Juliette.

"....he fell and," Jonas pauses, trying to breathe as his laughs become too much. "A-and boom! His legs just snapped!"

Steven starts laughing too, both of them clutching their stomachs. Having heard the story of Jonas' brother -Isaac- breaking his legs about one hundred times, I still laugh, remembering Isaac's girly screams at the sight of his broken legs.

When we stop laughing, Jonas turns to me. "He finally joined the conversation!" he says with feigned enthusiasm.

"I've been in the conversation," I snort.

He rolls his eyes while Steven adds, "Yeah, right. You've been in her conversation the whole night. I bet you like her," he says, pointing to the girl I've been focused on.

Damn it, so they've noticed.

"I do not!" I try to defend myself.

"Just go ask her already. I don't want to see your mopey face at school if you don't talk to her today."