3: Fire

Juliette

           It's really cute how he thought I didn't know he was staring. I wanted to laugh every time he glanced over but I just kept on pretending to be oblivious.

           I almost sighed in relief when he finally made his way over here. But now that I know I'm not alone, I can't even breathe, let alone sigh.

           I let the fire die out and grab hold of this boy's arm and pull him away. A teacher tells us to get home safe as I hurry to my car, the boy in tow.

           As we hurry away, I hear loud laughter. One from a boy, one from a girl. I roll my eyes at how loud they are.

           We reach my car and I spin sharply. "How long have you been able to do that for?" I ask him immediately.

           He smiles and sticks his hand out. "Edward James, nice to meet you."

           I put my hand in his. "How long have you been able to do that?" I repeat.

           "What's your name?"

           "Juliette," I answer, getting slightly annoyed. "How long have you been able to do that?" I ask for a third time.

           I'm expecting another lame introductory statement. Instead, he says, "Forever, maybe. My mom says she had to be extra careful with me whenever it would rain. Back when I couldn't control my powers, of course. Once, it was pouring and we got home completely dry. No umbrella, either.

           "Our neighbors saw us through the window and that gave them a real fright. Mom gave them some crap story and they bought it though."

           He looks at the floor with an expression of shame on his face.

           "I can't even count how many times I've almost gotten caught," he whispers.

           I lightly touch his arm, getting him to look up at me. He's attractive, with eyes the color of the sea, tan skin, and brown hair.

           "You're staring, honey," he says with a smirk.

           I blush. "Sorry. I-I was just going to say that when I first started using my powers, it was horrible. My parents never took me out of the house. We had a fire extinguisher in every room, along with a fire blanket. I hated showering. Not anymore. But still...."

           I look back up and Edward. "You can control water."

           "I know." He looks confused. "We just have an entire conversation about this."

           A short laugh comes out of my mouth as I take a step back, letting my mind wrap around this. "You can control water!" I squeal.

           His lips roll into his mouth and he nods slowly. "I'm gonna, just, uh.... yeah. I'll be going."

           Edward turns on his heel and my hand snatches out to grab his arm.

           I breathe in and out slowly. "No, don't go. I'm sorry. It's just that I've always thought..... well, you know."

           He turns around and he's smiling it's then that I realize he wasn't planning on leaving.

           After he's in close proximity, I slap his arm. "Jerk hole," I mutter.

           He just laughs and grabs the hand I used to slap him. "Come on. Let's go wreak havoc amongst The Normals."

           Then he leads me to a blue car. His, I assume. Edward nudges his head towards the passenger door. "Get in," he tells me, as he opens the driver side.

           I look at him warily then back at the car. He sees my uneasiness and laughs.

           "I'm pretty sure you could hold your own," he tells me. "Besides, I'm not hitting on you. Just wanna take you for a spin."

           I stare at him for just another second, not laughing or smiling. When I finally open the door and get in, he isn't smiling either.

           After a while of driving, I say, "So, where to?" I'm new in this town, so I don't know much about it. All I know is which route to take to school, the supermarket, and the movie theater.

            "It's a surprise," he says.

             I huff and cross my arms.

            "I hate surprises," I inform him.

           He smiles and casts one glance at me. The easy going personality, the smiling lips, the laughing blue eyes....

           "Has anyone ever told you you act like water?"

           Edward chuckles and shakes his head. "No, but that's what I think every time I need to introduce myself. Has anyone ever told you you act like fire?"

          I try. I really do. But it's difficult not to smile. So despite my efforts, I end up smiling like an idiot while I answer, "No. But that's what I think every time I need to introduce myself."

           We laugh for a little, then silence takes over. It's peaceful and comfortable. Eventually, Edward comes to a stop in front of a house.

           It takes me a while to realise that it must be his.

           "W-what are you doing?" I stutter. He opens his door and shrugs.

           "My family needs to meet you." He closes the door and steps around the front of the car to open mine. I lock it and shake my head at him.

           There is no way that I'm going to go inside a strange house. And he must realize this because he goes back to the driver's door and opens it.

           He climbs in, puts both hands on the steering wheel and leans his forehead in between them.

           Edward blows out a breath then turns his head towards me, leaving it on the wheel.

           "They have to see you," he whispers.

           I stare at my feet. "They'll think I'm a freak. I don't need any one else to think of me as a freak. My parents don't say it, but I can see it in their eyes." I get quiet and continue staring at my feet. His door closes and the next thing I know, my hands are in his and he's staring into my eyes.

           "They aren't going to think of you as a freak. Believe me. Would Mr. and Mrs. Superman think that Wonder Woman is weird? No! Now, put on your big-girl tights and walk through those doors there because it's time to meet the Kents, Diana!"

           I stare at him for a few seconds. Then I bring two fingers to my forehead, salute him, and say, "Sir, yes, sir," with as much sarcasm as I can muster.

           He smiles, pulls his hands away, and says, "Good."

           We simultaneously open our doors and begin walking to the house. His hand grabs the doorknob and I take a deep breath.

           Time to meet the parents.

           And then the door opens with a loud, damning creak

     )  )  (  (  (
     (   (    )  (  )

A/N

If you close your eyes, that kind of looks like fire.