20: Air

Robert

           Anne is standing beside me in the elevator. When the other two insisted on joining us, Anne just shook her head. They looked at each other, and took the stairs.

           It's silent until the bell goes ding and we have to step out. It isn't until I begin walking to the doors that Anne stretches out a hand to stop me.

           "You know, Robert, it's all fine."

           I nod without meeting her gaze, because, oh my goodness, I almost killed her father. We continue walking without a word, reach the parking garage, and then the car, where Edward and Juliette are already waiting.

           As we inch closer, Edward unlocks the car and we get in. When I pass him, he gives me a sympathetic smile.

           I look away and get in the backseat, along with Juliette.

           The car comes to life and the drive is silent. We don't know where we're going, because the fact that Erica is still alive just means that this 'present' is somewhere else.

           Or it belongs to someone else.

           Really, it must be really nice to be Edward; at least he knows his family is safe from the villains. Me, on the other hand....

           "I need your phone," I tell Juliette. She, of course, is only wearing my sweater, so her phone probably isn't on her.

           "Never mind. Edward, I need your phone." With one hand on the steering wheel, he pats all four pockets then meets my eyes in the rear view mirror and shrugs.

           "Sorry. I don't have it."

           Wincing, I turn to Annabel. "Anne, do you think I could--"

          Before I finish my sentence, her phone is waving in my face. I take it from her hand without meeting her eyes and call my mother's number. After four rings and a near nervous breakdown on my part, she answers.

           "Hello?"

           I practically dance in relief. "Ma! You're okay!"

           She giggles a little. "Of course! Why wouldn't I be?"

           Not wanting to worry her, I laugh, too. "No reason. There's no reason why you wouldn't be."

           Then I hear the doorbell on her end. "Oh, hold on, Robert, someone's at the door. It might be Jeremiah. He said he was coming over. I'll call you back, okay?"

           "No, Mom, don't open the door!"

           Shuffling. "Why not?"

           Then there's knocking. "Oh, Robert, I really need to get the d--"

           There's a bang and a thump. Then the sound of shuffling fills my ears. A raspy, unknown voice says to me, "Have fun!" before the line goes dead.

>>><<<

           "Oh, Robert, thank goodness! I'm here to pick up your mother. We moved our date up, but I can't seem to reach- Robert? What's going on? Who are they?" Jeremiah Trevor. A tall, lanky man with glasses and a bouquet of roses.