chapter five.

As Liz quickly shuffled out the front door, she planted a warm kiss on Ashton's cheek. It was her way of saying thank you, Ashton assumed. He took a deep breath in and quietly tip toed into Luke's room. He noticed the gorgeous boy with the blonde quiff was fast asleep, his wheelchair looking gigantic compared to his fragile small body. Pillows surrounded him, probably to reduce the pain of his spine. Mrs. Hemmings explained to Ashton that Luke was never comfortable, his bones always ached from not being used and his spine was constantly throbbing. The only comfort he has when he's in his specially made memory foam bed.
-
Ashton scurried into the kitchen to start getting Luke's morning meds ready. He counted at least eight pills and two shots. He let out a sympathetic sigh and waited in for luke to awake from his deep sleep. He got curious as he eyed the chair again. He gently laid down the tray full of meds and climbed into the wheelchair. He felt trapped, his legs were locked in the cushions and his head was forced upon the headrest. All the sudden, he heard a faint voice,
-
"Having fun there?" Luke softly smiled at Ashton as he jumped from the chair, cheeks reddened. "S-s-sorry..." Ashton stuttered out and scratched his neck. Luke just laid there with his smile getting wider. Ashton swore he felt sparks fly in his heart. He inched toward Luke, and sat on the edge of the bed, careful not to sit on his legs. He helped him sit up so he could take his pills, and his cheeks slowly returned back to their normal shade when he saw how much luke hated being paralyzed.
-
After the final shot, Ashton lifted Luke into his chair. Ashton held luke close to him, being extra careful nothing would happen to him since he was so light. He adjusted his shirt once he was situated, and walked alongside him into the kitchen. "You hungry?" Luke didn't look Ashton in the eyes. He turned the chair around so Ashton could no longer look at him.
-
"..Luke?" he slowly inched closer to the boy in the wheelchair. Luke stopped in his tracks. "Are you... hungry?"
"Stop asking. Leave me alone. I don't want to be spoon fed by an anorexic." Luke bit his lip, immediately regretting what he said, he silently blamed it on his mum for taking him off his bipolar meds. Ashton stood there, tears already forming in his sparkling green eyes. "I-I'm n-not-" he swallowed and held his throbbing wrist. Luke looked down and sighed. "Ashton... I'm sor-"
"Save i-it....please." He forced a smile as he started making luke a nice turkey sandwich. Luke sat in silence, quietly chewing on the gourmet sandwich Ashton's delicate hands have made him.
-
As he finished the last bite, he offered Ashton the other half. "It's fine... I'm not hungry!" he said with a fake giggle, he cleaned the crumbs that fell loose on his lap and threw the trash out. Voices raced around his head as he sat back down.
You're not skinny enough.
You're too fat to be anorexic.
Maybe there's a reason your mum doesn't feed you.
Lose weight.
-
These thoughts made anxiety fill Ashton's body. He's heard all these phrases daily, but he's never shared the horrible things they tell him. He started to agreed with the voices. Luke was right. He started to feel sick. He felt guilty about the tiny bowl of cereal he ate before he left for the day.
-
As he unwrapped the other half of the sandwich, he softly smiled at luke, ignoring the voices. He got lost in his beautiful blue eyes, he felt comfort feeding him. Knowing he was eating assured him everything was okay, he was just naturally light.
-
As luke nibbled on the other half, Ashton's sleeve rolled up unknowingly. Luke's eyes wondered over, seeing the huge gashes going every direction. He gasped, as the bite of sandwich went down the wrong pipe. He started coughing uncontrollably, tears filling his eyes as he couldn't take a breath.
-
"Luke? are-are you okay?" Ashton immediately stood up, watching the boy choke on the sandwich. Ashton started panicking, as the boy collapsed out of the chair, hitting his head hard on the ground.
-
"LUKE! O-OH GOD!" Ashton cried.