Chapter 4.

"My Lord? Are you alright?"

Ciel's vision cleared and he was slowly brought back to reality by the sound of his butler's voice and a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Hmm? What?"

His voice sounded tired, and the dark circles beneath his eyes were only accentuated by his pale skin.

"Master, you have been sat in the same position staring at the wall since I came in. I have your afternoon tea."

Replied Sebastian, concern evident in his crimson eyes. Ciel merely waved his hand nonchalantly and the butler removed his own, reaching for the teapot and serving his master's tea.

"I'm fine. I was just thinking, that's all."

The boy shrugged off his butler's attentions and simply leant back in his chair, taking the teacup and sipping it slowly. In reality he had an awful headache and he was exhausted, but he wouldn't let such trivial issues get in the way of his work.

"My Lord... I know it is presumptuous of me to say such things, but you really ought to rest. Even taking a break and going for a short walk through the garden may help. Forgive me, but I can tell when you are tired or in pain. You know that as much as I."

Sebastian knew he would only be scolded for his words, but he didn't care. His only priority was his master's health.

"I said I'm fine, Sebastian. And since when were you so easily worried?"

Ciel snapped, confused, tired and irritated all at the same time. The butler bowed his head.

"Please accept my apologies, Sir."

Taking a sip of his tea, the young Earl made it obvious that the conversation was at an end by picking up his pen and returning to his work. With a soft sigh Sebastian collected the tray and left the room, closing the door softly behind him.

Why must the young master always insist on overworking himself? He really is a stubborn child.

He thought hopelessly, staring out of the window with the silver tray in hand.

"Mr. Sebastiaaaaaannnn!"

Crimson eyes shifted sideways as Mey-Rin ran down the corridor, waving something in her hand. At the last moment she skidded and collided with her superior, knocking him over. Luckily the tea set remained unharmed.

"Honestly, Mey-Rin. How many times do I have to tell you not to run inside the manor?"

He said quietly, rather exasperated and, quite frankly, sick of the maid's clumsy and careless approach. She scrambled backwards and picked herself up with a face the colour of beetroot.

"O-Oh I'm sorry Mr.Sebastian!"

She said, panicked and confused.

"And just why were you so eager to find me?"

The maid thought for a moment before holding up what appeared to be a now rather crumpled looking envelope.

"We got a letter, yes we did! I thought I'd bring it to you since you're so busy."

Mey-Rin replied, handing the butler the letter. He turned it over to see it was addressed to his master.

"Thank you. Now if you would, take this back down to the kitchen at walking pace."

Giving her the tea tray Sebastian began to smooth out the creases in the envelope, while Mey-Rin began to make her way carefully down to the kitchen.
Turning around the demon knew his master wouldn't appreciate the disturbance, but it was his duty to at least deliver the letter. He stepped forwards and knocked on the door of the study.

"What is it?"

Ciel's sharp reply came from inside as he looked up from his work.

"Pardon the interruption, My Lord, but a letter has arrived for you."

His politeness and formality calmed the boy somewhat, and he put his pen down.

"Fine, come in."

Sebastian opened the door and walked in, offering his master the envelope. Ciel took it and immediately groaned as he saw the handwriting on the front.

"Whatever is the matter, Master?"

Lord Phantomhive dropped the letter on the desk in front of him and let his head fall as well, laying his forehead on the smooth mahogany.

"It's from Elizabeth... I'm not in the mood to deal with her childish behaviour right now. Open it."

"Yes, My Lord."

The butler opened the envelope and removed the letter, proceeding to read it aloud.

Dear Ciel,

I've been so bored at home without you... It's been absolutely ages since I last came to visit! So I'll be coming down on the eighteenth to stay for a couple of days. I can't wait to see you, so I'll be planning lots of fun!
And please, please wear the new outfit I bought for you when we go shopping. It will look simply adorable on you, I know it!

Lots of love,

Lizzy.

Ciel sighed in exasperation and rested his hands atop his head.

"Well I suppose it was short, at least... The last letter I got from her went on forever. Have we got anything planned for that weekend?"

He said begrudgingly, looking up at his butler.

"Nothing, Sir."

Groaning again the boy slumped in his chair and closed his eyes, placing his fingers on his temples in an attempt to contain his frustration.

"Can't you just tell her I'm sick or something? Anything to get her out of the way. I've got too much to do and too little time. I'm not in the mood for shopping trips and frolicking about town."

"I am afraid that would be almost impossible, My Lord. As you well know Lady Elizabeth would still insist on coming to stay even if she thought you were sick, simply to try and look after you if nothing else."

Sebastian didn't look the slightest bit smug, if anything his expression was one of pity.

"Fine. She's only staying for the weekend though. Any longer than that and I think I may just lose my mind."

"Very good, Sir. I shall leave you to finish your paperwork now."

Replied the demon, turning to leave.

"Sebastian."

Hearing his name fall from his master's lips caused the butler to stop in his tracks.

"Yes, My Lord?"

Ciel paused before replying.

"I shall retire early tonight, and I will take supper in here. Bring it up when you are ready."

"Yes, My Lord."

With that Sebastian left the room once more, but this time he didn't stop outside. Instead he went back down to the servant's quarters to begin the rest of his daily tasks.