Chapter 19.

Sebastian leaned against the wall as he stepped through the open front door, and was greeted by the sound of running footsteps and a gasp.

"Sebastian! Young Master! Oh, what happened? You two look terrible! Finny! Bard! Come quick!"

The bespectacled maid proceeded to fret and panic in the corridor, until Sebastian pushed himself up off of the wall.

"Mey-Rin... Fetch cloths, warm water and some bandages. Ask Tanaka to run a bath for the young Master..."

Finny and Bardroy both came running it at the call and looked on in shock, Sebastian meeting their gazes with tired crimson eyes. After a pause Mey-Rin nodded and left to wake Tanaka, while Sebastian made his way slowly up the stairs to Ciel's bedchamber. Finny and Bard ran to get fresh clothes for their superior as his were torn and bloodstained.

*****

"Master..."

Sebastian was sat on the edge of Ciel's bed, gently stroking the boy's soft blue-grey hair. He was dressed in clean clothes though his shirt was unbuttoned at the top and showed wrapped bandages, for Mey-Rin had carefully cleaned and dressed all of his wounds.
After some time Ciel came to. By that point the light of dawn had begun to filter in through the window, though the curtains remained firmly closed.

"S... Sebastian..."

His voice was no more than a whisper and his throat was sore.

"Ciel? You're awake..."

As the Earl tried to sit up he was pushed back down onto the pillow by a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Rest, Ciel... You need it."

The boy's eyes opened at the sound of Sebastian's voice.

"Sebastian... Your injuries... Are you alright?"

With a soft smile he placed a hand lightly on his master's cheek.

"I'm fine, Ciel... My wounds are minor and they will heal soon enough."

"Even so... You need to rest. Sebastian, let Tanaka take over your duties until you are healed. That's an order."

"I- But Master..."

"I'm not repeating myself, Sebastian..."

The butler paused before bowing his head.

"Yes, My Lord."

Ciel raised a hand to his mouth as he began to cough, and Sebastian immediately leant over to pick up a glass of water from the bedside cabinet.

"Here. You need to drink something."

Once Ciel's coughing fit had subsided Sebastian brought the glass to the boy's lips, helping him drink.

"Sebastian. I assume you killed that other demon."

"Yes. He has returned to hell."

"Good... Go and rest for a while. I'll be fine here."

"Are you sure, Ciel?"

"Yes."

With a nod Sebastian stood, knowing it would do him no good to defy his master's wishes.

"If you are sure... Rest well, Ciel."

He planted a soft kiss on the boy's lips before leaving the room and making his way back to his quarters. On the way, he met Tanaka in the corridor.

"Tanaka. I've been ordered to rest, so my duties will fall on you for the time being."

He removed the pin of the Phantomhive butler from his tailcoat and handed it over to the old man, along with his silver pocket watch.

"Very well, Sebastian. I shall take care of the young Master."

With a bow of his head the demon left, knowing his master was in good hands.

*****

"Your tea, young Master."

Ciel awoke to Tanaka opening his curtains. The Phantomhive crest gleamed in silver on his jacket, and he walked over with a pot of tea.

"Tanaka... Where is Sebastian?"

"I believe he is in his quarters, Master. He has been in there since this morning."

Replied the old man, pouring some tea and handing it to the Earl as he sat up slowly. He winced at a pang in his chest, and coughed before taking a sip of the hot Earl Grey. With a nod he closed his eyes for a moment or two.

"That's good..."

He murmured, happy Sebastian had followed his orders and taken some time for himself. As strong as he knew the demon was, Ciel couldn't help but feel concerned for his welfare.

"You ought to stay in bed for at least the rest of today, Master. If you are hungry I can prepare something light for lunch."

After a long pause Ciel registered Tanaka's words and nodded slightly.

"Yes... Some soup would be nice."

"Very well, young Master. I shall make your lunch now."

With a bow the wizened old man excused himself, leaving his master sitting half upright in bed with his cup of tea. The boy blew across the top of the cup and watched the steam swirl above it, tired but somewhat content.