1. Sleepy Head

CHAPTER ONE
'SLEEPY HEAD'

༻༺

LONDON, FEBRUARY 1972

I WAS RUDELY AWOKEN BY THE INCESSANT BEEPING OF MY ALARM CLOCK SITTING ON THE NIGHT STAND. Sun streamed through the curtains as the harsh light stung my eyes and made it near impossible to open them, giving me even more reason not to get up. Groaning loudly, I reached my arm out and slapped my hand down on the snooze button - the peacefulness returning - before turning onto my side, hoping to gain just a little while longer in the warm comfort of my bed. After about ten minutes (which only felt like two), the sound of ringing filled the room once again, although this time I knew that the option of ignoring it and going back to sleep wasn't an option.

Finding whatever motivation I could within myself, I threw the covers off of me and sat upright on the edge of my bed, the sudden drop in temperature making goosebumps appear on my skin. I glancing over at the clock to check the time. 9:45am.

Shit, I'm going to be late.

Like an electric current had been sent through my body, I quickly lept from my bed and dashed around my room at a frantic speed, tearing through my drawers and wardrobe in search of any old clothes to throw on, before tripping over several things and running to the bathroom to sort my mess of an appearance.

Standing in front of the mirror, I frowned at the reflection in front on me as my uncooperative hair stood up in all directions whilst I tried to brush it flat. Dark circles were present under my eyes, and my skin was so pale it looked like I hadn't seen the sun in years.

Fuck it I thought to myself when I eventually gave up, tying back my hair in a lopsided ponytail and deciding against applying make up before running downstairs to grab my things. Speeding past the kitchen, as there was no time for breakfast, I picked up my satchel full of books and went to collect my keys for the house, which when I approached them noticed had been casually thrown on top of the mountain of bills next to the phone on the table in the hallway. Sighing deeply, I ignored the menacing letters and hastily left the house, shutting the door behind me, before I began running off down the street as fast as my legs could carry me.

* * *

The journey to my destination felt like it took a lifetime - it was times like this I wish I had a car. As I sped down the pavement, almost bumping into several people on the way there, I kept checking my wrist watch every so often to make sure I'd make it there on time.

5 minutes late. Well, screw that plan then.

Upping my pace, I carried on running along the busy London streets, until I saw the ends of the Imperial College buildings coming into view. Thank god for being forced to do cross country back in secondary school. When I finally arrived, I ran up the steps to the front entrance and I sprinted inside, only stopping momentarily to catch my breath. I looked down at my watch again.

15 minutes late. No, no, no, no, no...

Although by now I was on the verge of keeling over from exhaustion, I began jogging towards the flight of stairs ahead of me, bounding up the steps before making my way along the familiar upstairs corridor, desperately looking around for the door to my lecture hall. When I eventually got there, 20 minutes later than planned, I hesitantly opened the door and stalked into the room, the sound of it closing causing my professor to stop mid-sentence and fellow students to turn their heads.

'Glad of you to join us, Miss Lawson. I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance.' he said, peering over his glasses.

Being one of very few girls that took this course, Professor Nichols knew my name, even if it was for all the wrong reasons.

'Sorry Professor, won't happen again.'

He just looked at me with an eyebrow raised, knowing that was a downright lie and returned to what he'd been saying before he'd been interrupted. I, on the other hand, went and sat down at a desk at the back of the room to avoid more judgmental looks from everyone around me after my embarrassing entrance, and took out my books without uttering another word for the rest of the lecture.

I hated Chemistry. The only reason why I chose to do it at university was to keep my parents happy, and so they'd be proud of me for once. I originally wanted to study art, but that 'wouldn't be making a contribution to society' according to them. I just wished they could have been the type of parents to support their children no matter what path in life they decided to take, but unless they had something impressive to brag about at dinner parties, they probably wouldn't even mention my name.

Anyway, when class was over, I chose to go to the library to get some studying done, seeing as I paid barely any attention during that hour. Sitting at a table in the corner of the room reading a textbook, I tried to absorb as much of the information as I could, until the fatigue began to set in and the next thing I knew my head was on the desk, fast asleep. It was only when I was awoken from my slumber by an unexpected voice that I lifted my head up off the table again.

'Dozing off in the library seems to have become a recurring thing, eh, Sleepy-head?'

Glancing up, I was met by the towering figure of my curly-haired best friend who was looking down at me with a cheeky smile plastered on his face. At least it wasn't the librarian.

'Shut up, Brian, I've seen you crashed out on a desk before too, 'I retorted, 'Besides, I was just resting my eyes.'

'If that were true, then you wouldn't have been snoring as loud as a train, would you?'

I scoffed at his statement, 'I was not!'

'Yeah, you were! I could hear you all the way from the Physics department.' Brian laughed.

I looked at him with a deadpan expression, 'Ha-ha, you're such a comedian. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to be doing, so unless you can help me understand this nonsense, I would appreciate it if you would stop distracting me and leave, please.'

'Telling your favourite person in the world to bugger off as soon as they say hello? That's a bit harsh. Y'know, I was going to offer to help you with your work, but actually, I don't think I'll bother now,' he began to storm off in the opposite direction, 'I'm hurt, Heidi, really hurt!'

Chuckling slightly at his sarcastic, over-dramatised tantrum meant to make me feel bad, I rolled my eyes defeatedly, 'Alright, fine, you can stay. But only because you're so smart, Mr. Astrophysicist.'

Brian turned around and smiled at me triumphantly, before pulling up a chair and sitting down at the opposite side of my desk, 'Smart, huh? About time you recognised my genius.'

'Well, how about you put that geniusness into action by helping me with my work, then?'' I said, pushing my pile of books and papers towards him, smirking at him whilst he tried to make sense of the books that I didn't have the energy or motivation to do so myself.

___________

That's right another new fanfiction, surprise surprise! Sorry for ditching my other books, but inspiration struck me again and I needed to write something down so here you go haha. Sorry if it's kinda crappy, I'll probably go over it again later but not now because it's like 1am so yeah. I hope you liked this first chapter, despite being a bit bland, and if you did a vote/comment would be great. Thank you!

- Anna :-) x