14. Party's Over

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
'PARTY'S OVER'

༻༺

THE CONCERT ITSELF WAS SPECTACULAR. AFTER KICKING OFF THE SHOW WITH A SONG FROM THEIR NEW ALBUM CALLED 'HIGHWAY STAR', the band had everyone in the room head banging and dancing so hard that you could feel the floor shaking beneath your feet. Colin and I were no different; jumping up and down like a pair of hooligans (the occasional swig from the hip flask Colin had snuck in quickly drowned out my nervousness and I was much more relaxed around his presence). So if I fell over or did something embarrassing, like bang my head off a wall again, I had an excuse; I could just blame it on the drink.

Brian, on the other hand, wasn't enjoying the concert as much as I was. Well, not now, at least. Of course I felt bad for basically ditching the poor soul so I could go running after the guy I was hopelessly head over heels for, but who could blame me? I'd been waiting three years for this moment; I had to grasp the opportunity with both hands. And I think, despite his discontentment, Brian knew this too. He was far too selfless to say otherwise, anyway.

When the concert inevitably came to an end, I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed. I'd had a great time with Colin tonight, and the thought of having to head home instead of continuing this fabulous evening was something I wish I could change. Nevertheless, there was nothing I could do about it, so when all three of us left the theatre, Brian told me he'd bring the car round and wandered off down the steet, leaving me and Colin on our own.

'Thank you for tonight, Colin, I had a really lovely time,' I smiled shyly, 'Sorry for, uh, dragging you away from your friends.'

'Ach, I can hang out with them anytime. It was much more fun hanging out with you.' he winked.

Trying to hide the fact that I was blushing like mad, I looked down at the ground, thankful that it was too dark out for him to notice that my face had gone bright red.

'Y'know, the night doesn't have to end here,' Colin noted, 'We could ditch Curly and head down the pub, if you like?'

I frowned, 'As much as I would love to go for a drink, I really must be going; I have work tomorrow, so I'd best stay as sober as I can. Besides, I don't think Bri would appreciate that in the slightest...'

'Oh well, can't say I didn't try,' Colin chuckled.

I looked at him hopefully, 'Maybe another time?'

'Of course,' he smiled at me. He then put his hand in his pocket, taking out a pen and joking, 'Got my own this time.' before writing something on the back of his concert ticket and ripping the piece he'd written on off.

'That's my number,' he told me, handing it over to me, 'Gimme a ring whenever you want.'

Trying hard not to scream with joy, I took the pen and the rest of the ticket out of his hand, taking him slightly by surprise, and scribbled my down own number on it, 'And that's mine,' I smiled, giving it back to him.

Looking down at the piece of paper, Colin smiled at me before doing something that really caught me off guard. He slowly leant down, until he was at my level, and placed a small kiss on my cheek as stood there like a statue, trying not to collapse in a heap on the ground. Just as he pulled back, Brian's car pulled up next to the pavement.

I coughed awkwardly and nodded behind him, 'I, uh, I'd better go.'

He glanced behind his shoulder, 'Ah, right. Of course,' he gave me one last smile, 'Good night, Heidi.'