22. Better Than Expected

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
'BETTER THAN EXPECTED'

༻༺

THE GUITARIST LAUGHED AND LAUGHED UNTIL HE ALMOST FELL ON THE FLOOR, OUT OF BREATH AND UNABLE TO SPEAK. I sat opposite him at our usual table in the library, frowning at him over his amusement at what I'd told him had happened after my parents came round for dinner yesterday, and couldn't hide the sheer embarrassment I felt over the whole awkward situation that I'd managed to create between me and the drummer, after everything else had gone so well.

'Stop laughing, Brian, it's not funny.' I whined, as he tried - but failed - to compose himself.

He coughed breathlessly, 'Okay, okay. I think I'm done now, I swear.'

'Good.' I frowned.

After a minute or so of trying to get back to studying, the guitarist started chuckling again, 'And here I was thinking you couldn't stand Roger. Looks like someone has a little crush...'

'I do not fancy Roger,' I made myself clear.

'Sure, I believe you.' a sly smile appeared on Brian's face, 'Still, I think you're starting to realise that Roger is actually a decent guy and not the arsehole you always make him out to be.'

As stubborn as I was, I couldn't deny it, 'Alright, so he's not as bad as I thought he was...'

'Ha-ha! See? I knew you'd finally break.' Brian said, pleased with himself.

'But,' I continued, 'At the end of the day, no matter what I think of Roger as a person, the only reason I'm putting up with him is because I need somebody to help me pay the bills; simple as that. We both know I can't do it on my own.'

'Yeah, right!' Brian snorted, 'He's been there for over a month. If this was really about the money, you would have blown your top and kicked him out - I know you would have. Admit it, you actually like Roger. You wouldn't have thought about snogging his face off if you didn't.'

Shaking my head, I couldn't help but crack a smile as I shoved him lightly in revenge and commented, 'Shut up,' before returning to what I was doing before the guitarist decided to take the piss out of me.

After about an hour of actual studying, I looked down at my wristwatch, 'Shit, is that the time?' I panicked as I got off my chair and quickly packed away my things, 'I need to be at work in twenty minutes. Mr. Bennet will have my head if I'm late again.'

'Tell the bald git I said hi.' Brian chuckled as he continued what he was writing.

'Of course,' I smirked as I ruffled his curls and walked away, 'See you later, Bri.'

'Bye, Heidi.' he called back in a sarcastic voice, clearly annoyed I'd messed up his beloved hair.

Making my way out of the library, I headed for the stairs that took me to the ground floor. Once I was out of the university, I decided to take a small shortcut through an alleyway between Imperial College and the building next to it, a route I often took to get the bus stop which I needed to get to work. However, just as I was about to walk out onto the next street, someone grabbed my arm and pulled me into a hidden archway.

'Thought ye could avoid me forever, eh doll?' the all too familiar voice growled in my ear, 'I believe we have some unfinished business, don't you?'