9. You Wish

CHAPTER NINE
'YOU WISH'

༻༺

MONDAY MORNING ARRIVED WITH A LESS THAN PLEASANT START IF I'M GOING TO BE HONEST WITH YOU. When I awoke from my sleep to the soft sound of traffic going by outside, I rolled over in bed to check the time, once my eyes had adjusted to the brightness of my room, and almost had a heart attack when my sight finally cleared and I read the face of the clock.

'No, no, no, not again!' I panicked as I threw the duvet off my body and clambered out of bed, changing out of my pjs and beginning to tear through my drawers, before throwing on random items of clothing, as I always did in this situation.

As soon as I'd brushed my teeth and sorted out my appearance the best I could in the bathroom, I ran down the stairs and dashed through the hallway, almost knocking down an unexpecting Roger who was leaving the living room as I came speeding past him at a hundred miles an hour.

'Whoa! Slow down there,' he laughed, 'What are you running about the place like a headless chicken for?'

'I'm going to be late for uni...again,' I told him, slipping on a pair of trainers; the most sensible choice of footwear for sprinting down the street, 'My alarm clock didn't go off; it hardly ever does. I'm sure the bloody thing's broken.'

'Buy a new one, then?'

I rolled my eyes, 'A new alarm clock isn't exactly at the top of my list of priorities, Roger.'

The two of us fell silent as the drummer watched me hurriedly throw on my jacket. He suddenly spoke up again, 'I could give you a lift, if you want?'

'What?'

'I'll drop you off at uni on the way to work,' he explained, 'It's no bother, really. I'm going in that direction anyway.'

I just stared at the blonde anxiously as he collected his car keys and began making his way towards the front door, 'Um, I really don't think that's a good idea.'

'Why not? Because you don't want to be seen with me, is that why, Heidi? Bit strange - I can't imagine anyone who would refuse a lift from Truro's very own gift to drumming.' he smirked.

Scoffing, I muttered under my breath, 'I can think of several reasons...'

Obviously the drummer either didn't hear my comment or bother taking heed of it as he continued, 'Well? What's it gonna be? Walk to Imperial and arrive half an hour late for your lecture, facing the wrath of a pissed off professor, or come in the car with me and arrive there on time? Personally, I would go with the latter.'

Although I'd honestly rather walk than even consider getting in a car with Roger, I really didn't feel like embarrassing myself in front of a hall full of people and have my professor's disapproving eyes glaring at me the rest of the lecture, for the millionth time this term.

Crossing my arms to emphasise my discontent, I sighed overdramatically as I knew I didn't have any other alternative.

'Okay fine...I'll go with you,' I said reluctantly, as Roger beamed happily, 'But you'd better not drive like a fucking lunatic. I want to get there in one piece.'

'Excuse me, I'll have you know that I am a great driver. Never once had an accident,' Roger replied, defensively, whilst I grabbed my bag and opened the front door, 'Well...apart from this one time when I -'