29. Stupid Girl

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
'STUPID GIRL'

༻༺

THE SOUND OF THE PHONE RINGING ECHOED LOUDLY THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE as I rushed down the stairs to answer it before it cut off. It'd been four days now since the break in and all afternoon I'd been on the phone to the insurers. As far as I aware there wasn't anything of major monetary value that'd been broken, but it was better to find out from people who actually knew for sure, so I was hoping this would them finally getting back to me. However after waiting for hours to hear anything, I'd started to question why I even bothered. It'd been a bit of a wasted afternoon, to be completely honest.

Despite this, I had received some good news. Yesterday, the police came round to tell me the they'd tracked down the two unknown men and most importantly Colin as well. He'd headed up north to Edinburgh and stayed with a friend, presumably until the heat died down, but was arrested that morning before he could disappear anywhere else. I was so relieved I couldn't quite believe it. Finally, he'd been brought to justice, and I know I shouldn't say this just yet but with any hope, out of my life for good.

Once I'd stepped on the landing I quickly reached out for the receiver in a very unglamorous manner, knowing I only had seconds before it rang off.

I held it to me ear awkwardly, 'Hello?'

But it wasn't the insurers. It was someone who I'd been dreading speaking to and avoiding getting in touch with all week. It was my mother.

'Heidi, this is your mother speaking.'

I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach, 'M-Mum?' I stuttered, an ominous silence echoing at the end of the line. I managed to utter, 'I wasn't expecting you to call. Wh-what's going on?'

'You know exactly why I'm phoning, young lady...' my mum said in a deadpan voice as I fiddled with the phone cord anxiously.

'Well you're going to have to elaborate because I don't have a clue what you're talking about...'

'Don't you dare lie to me!' she suddenly raised her voice, 'You're telling me that you failed to notice the house being broken into and vandalised? Or were you were hoping your father and I would remain blissfully unaware of what took place, in our home by not saying a word!?'

Although the cat was well and truly out of the bag, I was afraid to say anything, 'I-I was going to tell you...'

'Oh, were you now?' she continued her reprimanding, 'We trusted you to look after our home, Heidi. Of course I had my concerns - your father and I both did - but we thought you were responsible enough to take this on. Obviously we were wrong. I mean, leaving the door unlocked? How more forgetful could you be, you stupid girl?!'

'I'd had a few drinks and I was tired, alright?! I wasn't thinking clearly.' I fired back.

'Well, at least you admit that.' Mum retorted.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Any normal parent would be nothing but concerned for their child if something like this had happened to them, yet here I was being slaughtered by my mother, no sympathy, no loving words, nothing. I really didn't like the condescending tone in her voice and was quick to hit back with something I didn't want to have to tell her, but had to be done;