5. Hey, Roomie!

CHAPTER FIVE
'HEY ROOMIE!'

༻༺

THE MORNING DRUMMER BOY WAS MOVING IN HAD INEVITABLY COME AROUND. I'd spent the last couple of days getting the room he'd be staying in ready for him, which mainly consisted of moving all of the cardboard boxes filled with junk from when my parents lived here from upstairs into the basement below the house. Home to spiders, mice and other unpleasantries, it was definitely not a place I enjoyed visiting often. So as soon as I'd dumped the last box, climbed back up the steps and locked the door shut, I was glad to get out of there, and get on with giving Roger's room, and the rest of the house for that matter, a proper freshen up.

I don't know why I was so insistent on making sure everything was perfect for when he arrived. Perhaps it was because making a good impression and the fear of failing to do so was ingrained in me from an early age (my parents were the ones to 'thank' for that). It could also have just been slight OCD, but whatever the reason, I highly doubted that Roger would even care about what the house looked like.

Anyway, as I finished preparing the house for what looked like a royal visit, I got lost in my thoughts. I couldn't believe I'd decided to go through with this. Curse my kind heart. Maybe it wasn't too late to change my mind? But before I could even think about doing anything of the sort, I heard the sound of a car pulling up outside, which quickly grabbed my attention. Peering out through the net curtains in the living room window, I watched as Roger got out of his car and shut the door behind him, looking at the house curiously, probably wondering if he had the right place or not.

The blonde was dressed in his usual attire - a shirt buttoned up only halfway, a pair of black leather trousers, trainers, and aviator sunglasses covering his eyes like he was some sort of celebrity. He walked towards the steps to the house swiftly, moving with an unrestrained swagger as the overconfidence just oozed out of him, making me scoff and shake my head. He really is quite something, isn't he? I thought to myself.

Nevertheless, once I heard the ringing of the doorbell echo throughout the house, I left the living room and went to the front door to greet His Royal Highness. When I opened it, there was Roger smiling down at me with his infamous smirk plastered on his face.

'Hey, Roomie!' he greeted me excitedly as he took off his sunglasses.

My hello was a little less enthusiastic, 'Roger,' I said with the best smile I could give him, 'Come on in.'

'Thanks,' he replied cheerily as he strode into the front hallway, whilst I shut the door behind him.

He turned around and faced me, 'So, how are you?

'Not bad,' I shrugged, 'Yourself?'

'Yeah, yeah, fine,' he replied distractedly, as he admired his surroundings intently, 'Nice place you got 'ere.'

'Thank you. It used to be my parents house, but it was given to me as a sort of start-of-university present.'

Roger chuckled lightly, 'I'm guessing they're not empty, then?'

'I suppose you could say that,' I admitted, 'It's just a shame looking after it when you're on your own is a full-time job, though.'

'Well, that's what I'm here for,' he told me with a small smile, 'I'll help you out with the bills and whatever else that needs paying for. I know what it's like to be scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to money. It's a shit situation to be in.'