37. Last Straw

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN
'LAST STRAW'

༻༺

'WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WAS THAT?!' ROGER FUMED AS HE SLAMMED THE FRONT DOOR BEHIND HIM WHEN WE RETURNED HOME, myself holding onto the walls as I staggered drunkenly into the living room.

'Oh, don't pretend to be surprised,' I said disdainfully as I took off my jacket and discarded it on the couch, 'You wanted a reaction, darling, and you fucking got one.'

'Reaction?' the drummer followed me into the living room, switching on some lights, 'Heidi, what are you talking about?'

'You know exactly what I'm talking about, Rog,' I turned around and faced him, 'I saw you at the bar drooling over that tart after we fell out. Got some sort of kick out of it, did you?'

'Whoa, hang on - what?'

'I know you wanted to get back at me, make me jealous....'

He shook his head in disbelief, 'Heidi, she was just some girl that had been at the concert! She happened to be in the same bar so she came over and spoke to me. It was a innocent conversation, what made you think I was even remotely interested in her?'

'From what I saw where I was standing, it really wasn't that difficult.' I grumbled.

'Yeah, well, whatever it may have looked like at least I didn't kiss her,' the drummer fired back, turning the blame on me, 'Who even was that pillock anyway? Have you learnt nothing from that mess with Colin?

'Please, he was nothing like him!'

'And you know that for certain, do you?'

I just stared at him in disbelief, 'What I do with my life has fuck all to do with you, Roger!'

'It does when we're living under the same roof; amongst other things,' he replied honestly, 'You seem to forget who was there for you throughout that entire shit-storm with Colin. That's right, me! I saw the damage he did to you, Heidi, and I will not sit back and watch it happen again, I just won't.'

As we were talking so much about him, I knew this was the time to tell him the news about Colin, the reason why I was acting the way I was and put an end to this argument before it got even worse. But even just the mention of his name ignited an level of anger I didn't even know was inside me and I was taking it out on the person who cared about me the most.

'You think you know everything, Roger, but you don't,' I told him as I left the living room, fed up of this conversation, 'Do you know how sick and tired I am of people thinking they know that's best for me? First my parents, and now you. Do me a favour - just back off and for once in your life keep your nose out of my business!'

'I'm trying to look out for you because I care about you, I don't understand why you're being such a cow?' Roger asked as he followed me into the hallway, 'Things were going so well between us and now you're snogging random blokes to spite me when I haven't even done anything wrong! It's like you hate me all over again.. I know we aren't serious but what happened to us, Heidi? Don't you give a shit about that anymore?'

'Us?' I looked at him in disbelief, 'I think it's pretty clear after tonight's that there is no us, Roger.'

The drummer just shook his head, assuming I was saying these things because of my current state, 'You're fucked, you don't mean that.'