Chapter Three: Home

They all turned back to Balin as he spoke up again.

"Even if she did come, I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Baggins. These two hobbits here are hardly burglar material."

Bilbo nodded in agreement. "Then it's settled. Priscilla, we're staying home. Now, you're all welcome to--" Bilbo began to wrap up the conversation, but was interrupted.

"Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose. And while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of dwarf, the scent of hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage." Gandalf said. "You asked me to find the fourteenth member of this company, and I have chosen Mr. Baggins. I'm sorry Priscilla. You're welcome to join us for the rest of the evening if you choose." He said sadly to her, then turned back to the group. "There's a lot more to Mr. Baggins than appearances suggest, and he's got a great deal more to offer than any of you know, including himself. You must trust me on this."

"Very well. We will do it your way." Thorin agreed. "Give him the contract." Balin handed Bilbo a very long contract that unfolded onto the floor and off to the left and right in some places. She only looked on, not very interested anymore, and folded her hands in her lap.

"It's just the usual summary of out­-of-­pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements, so forth." Balin said as he handed it to Bilbo.

"Funeral arrangements?" He read parts of the contract out loud. "Terms: Cash on delivery, up to but not exceeding one fourteenth of total profit, if any. Seems fair. Eh, present company shall not be liable for injuries inflicted by or sustained as a consequence thereof including but not limited to lacerations ... evisceration ... incineration?"

"Oh, aye, he'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye." Bofur interjected loudly.

"Huh." Bilbo said, a little breathless, then bent over, nauseous and pained.

"Think furnace with wings. Flash of light, searing pain, then poof! You're nothing more than a pile of ash." Bofur continued.

Bilbo breathed heavily, trying to compose himself as the others stared at him. "Hmmm. Nope." Then, he fell to the floor in a faint.

"Ah, there we go." Kili chuckled, looking at Priscilla, but she didn't look back up at him and he frowned, looking down.

"Very helpful, Bofur." Gandalf said. Priscilla got up quickly and went to her brother, then, not feeling too kind, she grabbed the nearest mug of ale and splashed it into his face. Bilbo woke up with a start, and she stood and walked off to another room.

Bilbo and Gandalf went to the sitting room to talk, as Bilbo composed himself and thought about the contract.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long. Tell me; when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remember a young Hobbit who always was running off in search of elves and the woods, who'd stay out late, come home after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies. A young Hobbit who would have liked nothing better than to find out what was beyond the borders of the Shire. The world is not in your books and maps; it's out there." Priscilla overheard Gandalf say. She was sitting with her knees to her chest in the next room over, against the wall, quietly, listening. She'd done all of that, too, with her brother when they were young. Someone sat down next to her.

"You alright, Priscuit?" She recognized Kili's voice.

"Don't call me that right now, please." She said quietly, playing with a loose thread on her skirt.

"Sorry, then. And I take it's a no?" He raised his eyebrows at her. She shook her head. "You want to go with." He said then.

"Yeah. But it's alright. I mean, I guess someone needs to stay and watch the house, or else we'll come back with half our stuff auctioned off." She managed a weak smile. "And you've all managed to clear the pantry out, so no food will go bad while Bilbo's gone." She sat in silence for a moment, then sniffed, holding back tears.