Chapter Twenty-One: Azog

Priscilla turned a corner, trying to remember the way out. She passed above the throne room and paused, hearing Thorin shouting again. She looked down to see Dwalin retreating, and Thorin standing menacingly before him. She shook her head, sad to see how things had turned out, and continued on. 

She eventually found the platform and went up to it, looking out. The battle was going badly. Dain was calling his dwarves to fall back to Erebor, the Orcs in pursuit. A signal horn sounded and the Orcs began to regroup to march on the dwarves. Her mouth dropped open in surprise and horror, and she turned on her heels. Dain needed help.

She ran back in to find the dwarves of the Company sitting desolately, hearing the cries of the battle outside but unable to help their kin. She ran to Balin, ignoring Kili as she passed, not wanting to deal with him at the moment. 

"Balin... the Orcs are marching on Dain. We've got to let them in. They--"

"I know, lass. I know." Balin said sadly. Her eyes widened. Would he not do anything? She turned to look at the other dwarves. The all averted their gazes, ashamed of not being able to help. 

"Dwalin, you hear them. Will you not do something?" She said, rushing over to the taller dwarf. His stone gaze was enough of an answer, and she turned away, devastated. She couldn't get to Bilbo now, she would die if she tried to run to Dale in the mess of battle. Kili wouldn't talk to her. She didn't know whether to fight for Erebor or for Laketown. The dwarves wouldn't listen. 

Thorin entered the room then, no longer dressed in his royal robes and armor, but in a simple leather outfit. Kili rose, pointing at the wall behind him.

"I will not hide behind a wall of stone, while others fight our battles for us!" He yelled, angry at his uncle. "It is not in my blood, Thorin."

Thorin stopped in front of Kili. "No, it is not. We are sons of Durin. And Durin's folk do not flee from a fight." He laid a hand on Kili's shoulder, and Kili smiled back at him through tears. Priscilla watched, unbelieving. Had Thorin finally come to his senses?

Thorin turned to the other dwarves, looking over the group. "I have no right to ask this of any of you- but will you follow me one last time?"

The dwarves rose and held up their weapons, ready to follow Thorin, their leader and friend, once again. Priscilla let out a sigh of relief. There was hope. They could make it through this. She worried about Bilbo, wondering if he was alive. She assumed he was in Dale with Gandalf and the others, fighting off the ravaging Orcs. 

The dwarves sprung into action, hanging up a large statue with pulleys as a battering ram to break through the barricade of rocks in the gateway. Bombur climbed up to the platform and blew a war horn as Throrin gave the command, and the statue was released, smashing the barricade outward. Thorin gathered his dwarves, nodded once, and turned, rushing out and through the ranks of the Iron Hills dwarves. Dain began shouting to recoup and follow the king. Priscilla ran up to the platform to watch, knowing she stood no chance on the battlefield. 

Thorin and Dain embraced briefly, and Priscilla watched as Thorin gathered his best warriors- Kili, Fili, and Dwalin- and pointed to the hill on which Azog was commanding. She gasped quietly. He was going to attack Azog alone, with no more than a few companions. 

They would never make it. 

She had to tell Gandalf.

In the distance, the fishermen and elves fought the trolls and Orcs raiding Dale. Dwarves grappled with Orcs at the gates of Erebor, and Azog stood off in another direction, signalling orders. She pursed her lips, wheels turning in her head. She was small enough, wasn't she? She could make it to Dale. She had to. Kili's life depended on it.