Chapter Nineteen: Dragon Sickness

Priscilla made her way back down the corridor to the throne room. Thorin was standing before the throne, gazing up at the place where the Arkenstone had been inlaid before it was lost.  The path to the throne was a thin bridge with no railings, and three other bridges extended to the other ends of the room. Below the airborne throne was a staircase leading to the floor, where the dragon's treasure laid. Dwalin and Balin stood behind Thorin, trying to speak sense into him.

"It is here in these halls." Thorin said. "I know it."

"We have searched and searched-" Dwalin started.

"Not well enough!" Thorin cut him off, turning. His eyes passed over Priscilla briefly.

"Thorin, we would all see the stone returned. It is the birthright of our people. Do you really doubt the loyalty of anyone here?" Dwalin asked. 

"It is the King's Jewel." Thorin said, the volume of his voice growing. "AM I NOT THE KING?!" 

Balin and Dwalin paused, looking uneasy. Priscilla froze, surprised at the sudden outburst. Thorin took a deep breath, scanning the group.

"Know this - If anyone should find it and withhold it from me, I will be avenged." The king said, staring at Priscilla before turning and walking away. Priscilla swallowed, eyes wide. What was she thinking? What did she think she could say to him?

Balin and Dwalin turned to leave as well. As Balin passed her he placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's no use lass. I've seen it before, in his grandfather, that terrible Dragon sickness. It will drive him mad."

"Balin, if he had the Arkenstone, would it help?" She asked quietly, eyeing Throrin.

"The Arkenstone?" Balin cocked his head, thinking for a moment. "No. I fear it would make it worse. That stone crowns all, bestowing power upon whoever bears it. Perhaps it is better if it remains lost. We may lose him completely if he finds it."

Priscilla nodded slowly. "I'm going to try to talk to him," she said. 

"Good luck." Balin sighed. "We've tried everything, Miss Baggins."

"Not everything." She said, continuing on and leaving a perplexed Balin behind her. 

She approached Thorin slowly as he paced around the throne. He was dressed in fine furs and armor, dwarven runes and geometric patterns decorating the outfit. He turned to look at her as she approached, a disapproving look on his face. 

"Why aren't you down there searching with the others?" He accused, angry overtones still layered in his voice. 

"I need to speak with you." Priscilla said, trying not to fidget with the shaky nervousness taking over. 

"You have it?" Thorin asked suddenly, stepping closer. 

"No! No. I don't." Priscilla said, holding up her hands in front of her. Thorin's eyes moved from her face to her hands, then to the ring on her finger. She could see a wave of realization come across his face. 

"You." He said, almost under his breath. "All you've done is bring bad luck on this quest. And now you stand between me and my birthright." 

"It's not like that, Thorin," Priscilla said, taking a step backwards. She couldn't go far. The dais on which the throne sat was high in the air, the only access points the four side bridges and the staircase. Any further and she would fall off the edge and into a pile of gold. She had a fleeting thought that Throrin wouldn't care if she died or not. "Listen-"

"I want you out of my city. Now. You are never to return." Thorin said, taking another step. Priscilla took a deep, nervous, shaky breath, then reached forward with one hand to grasp his arm. She had to try something. If she couldn't heal the dragon sickness then--