Chapter Fourteen: Mirkwood

(I know it's been awhile.
I have no excuses.
I am very sorry.)

The Company followed Thorin into the dense forest. Upon entering, the air immediately cooled and their surroundings grew dark. Priscilla found herself next to Kili as they walked near the back of the group, and she felt a little less uneasy with him there by her side.

They were on a paved path, and came to a corner. Thorin said something, continuing to lead the Company forward. Priscilla heard the quiet rustling of foliage under the Company's feet, but other than that, the forest was eerily silent. It was gloomy and grey all around them. She began to feel claustrophobic and her breathing grew quicker, but Kili seemed to notice her uneasiness and took her hand, comforting her. She gripped his hand tightly.

They followed the path through the forest, twisting and turning over bare ground, high ledges, tree trunks, and dips where the path broke and reformed. Up ahead, Dwalin used his larger axe to thump the ground, finding the paved path under the dense layer of leaves.

Balin walked near the back of the group also, speaking to Bofur in hushed tones. Priscilla eavesdropped, curious when she heard them talking when no one else was.

"There's rumor of a river that runs through Mirkwood," Balin was saying. "We may come across it. Though, we have to be cautious. If anyone falls into the water, they'll fall into a deep sleep and forget recent memories."

Priscilla frowned. She hoped that if this river was real, they wouldn't come across it. It seemed dangerous.

The Company abruptly stopped, and Priscilla, not paying attention, nearly walked right into Balin. She heard someone ask why they stopped. Looking ahead, she saw they were stopped at the top of a drop off. They'd lost the path.

"Find it. All of you look. Look for the path!" She heard Thorin call.

The dwarves began to search nearby. Priscilla looked as well, being careful not to lose sight of anyone else. If she suddenly found herself alone, that would mean trouble. 

"It's got to be here somewhere," Dori said as he walked past her. She looked around, noticing that the entire company was staggering about, Kili had left her side, and she seemed to be the only coherent one. She paused, then stepped back to observe the dwarves. All of them were wandering, mumbling, rambling and generally unfocused. Bofur picked up his own tobacco pouch, exclaiming that there must be dwarves from the Blue Mountains in the forest because his pouch was exactly the same. 

"Because it is yours. You understand? We're going round in circles. We are lost." Bilbo insisted, looking baffled at the dwarf. He shook his head and looked around and his eyes landed on Priscilla. He hurried over. "What's going on?" he asked her. 

"I don't know. We need to find the path again. East?" she looked around her. "Where's the sun?" 

Bilbo looked up. She did as well. A bit of sun flickered through the tree canopy far above. Without a word, Priscilla took her pack off her shoulder, shoved it into Bilbo's arms, and headed for the base of the tree. He called after her but she couldn't hear him over the now fighting dwarves all around them. She climbed up the tree, feeling oddly excited to do something she had so much fun doing as a child. As her head broke through the trees and into the fresh air, it almost seemed as if a spell had been broken. She took a deep breath. There was no way she was going down willingly; the dank air and musty smell of the forest was awful compared to this bliss. It was beautiful. She looked into the distance and found a lake, and a river... and the Lonely Mountain! She took one last deep breath, oriented herself, and moved to clamber down the tree. 

"Well?" Bilbo asked expectantly when she arrived.

"This way." She pointed, and began walking astride her brother, taking her pack from him. She took the opportunity to take her ring out and put it on. It glowed dimly. It seemed it always did, but it was more noticeable in the dark atmosphere around her. She and Bilbo grabbed dwarves and pointed the way as they moved, and pretty soon they were leading the group. Before time, they had made it back to the path, and after following it for a bit, they made it out of the deepest part of the forest. The dwarves began to come out of their stupor, and soon Thorin was rushing to the front of the group, angry.