Chapter 13: Fading

A/N: Here it is! Another long chapter for all of you, beautiful people ;)
----------

Cameron was running. He was running as fast as he could. It was a race against time that he wasn't sure he could win.

Still, Cameron ran faster.

He only stopped when the arrived at a crossroads. It was like everything in front of him was divided in half. To his right, the sky was clear but the road was deserted. To his left, dark clouds announced a storm but he could see silhouettes not far from him.

He chose left.

As he walked farther into the path, the silhouettes took shape and he recognized them. A few meters from him stood his family. Camila and Lauren were there. Not their younger selves, Cameron realized, relieved. These were his mothers.

Even Zoe was there, standing between them and holding their hands. She saw him and her face lit up.

"Cam!" she yelled and let go of her mothers' hands to run to her brother as fast as her little legs let her.

Cameron ran to meet her halfway and picked her up in his arms, hugging her close. He had missed his baby sister.

"Zoe!" He placed her on his hip and tickled her with his free hand, smiling when he heard her cute laugh.

"You're not going to hug your mothers?" Camila said and Cameron looked up, beaming at them, "Nine uncomfortable months carrying him inside me but he can't even say hello."

Cameron opened his free arm as he rolled his eyes, amused. He had missed them so much.

Lauren and Camila hugged him tightly until they heard a soft voice.

"You're squeezing me!" Zoe complained, trapped between her mothers and her brother.

They all laughed at the 3-year-old offended face.

"I'm so happy you're here," Cameron told them, "I miss home."

"Sorry, kiddo, but you're not done yet," Camila caressed his cheek with her hand affectionately.

"But, ma," Cameron whined, "You went on a date and now you're acting all cute. Why can't I go home?"

"We need you there," Lauren pointed behind Cameron, "Look."

Cameron looked behind him and saw the younger versions of his mothers standing at the crossroads where he had been standing moments before.

"There are still things undecided," Lauren told him, "One bad decision and things could go wrong."

Just as she said that, young Camila took a step towards the path on the right. The path that lead her away from everything Cameron knew and loved.

"No!" Cameron yelled, putting Zoe down, "What is she doing? That's the wrong way!"

"Why would she choose the path with the stormy weather?" Camila - his Camila - said.

"Because mom is here!" Cameron answered, frustrated, "Zoe is here and I'm here!"

Suddenly, young Lauren started following the same path as young Camila.

"No! Stop!" Cameron yelled, moving his arms for them to see him.

When that didn't work, he tried to run towards them but realized he couldn't. He couldn't move. He looked down at his feet and was shocked to see that they were gone. His feet had disappeared. He was fading.