Chapter Thirty Four

Ava softly closes the door leaving us shocked in silence.

"I need to sit down," my frame wavering a bit.

Mateo rushes over and picks me up with great care. I feel woozy and my heart picks up in pace. It's not that this came as a surprise to me, I know I couldn't have gotten out of mating moon without getting pregnant. Nevertheless, I still can't process the idea of motherhood.

"Are you okay?" Mateo asks kneeling down to be eye level with me.

"I don't know," I answer honestly flopping back onto the couch.

I hear him roam around the suite. His presence comforting during this uncertain and fearful time. Our bags are placed at my feet a few minutes later, packed and ready to go.

"This is all my fault." He runs his hands through his hair.

"You had nothing to do with this. You know as well as I that this was fate," I try to comfort him.

"If I just kept my mouth shut about being a werewolf you wouldn't be in this situation!"

"If you never would have told me you were a werewolf then I'd probably be with Vincent. Who knows what my life could be like. At least I have you, and that's enough." I kiss him softly.

"Well isn't that touching," A voice rings out from the doorway.

Alpha Boomer stands at the entrance to our suite accompanied by the beast.

"Congratulations baby brother, you're a man now." Luca gives a hard smile.

Mateo stands in front of me protectively, his teeth slightly bared. I can't help but wrap my arms around my lower stomach, protecting the child that's hardly more than a few cells. I know that Boomer wouldn't do anything to hurt me, at least while I'm pregnant. My biggest fear is what is in store for Mateo. Our new life is walking on egg shells; at any moment he could be snatched away from me. Only returned when the mating moon calls out to us again.

"Don't worry son, I won't do anything to hurt my daughter in law or future grandson." He muses.

"It could be a girl," I bravely tell him. "We don't know if it'll be a girl or boy."

He barks out laughter as if I just suggested that the sky could turn green. 

"Our genes are strong in the male department. There's no doubt in my mind that your pup is going to be a big, strong boy!" He exclaims. "Now, get your things, Luca is going to take you to your new room."

I wordlessly follow Mateo, taking hold of the hem of his shirt. My selfish feelings wish he would carry me, but he has to focus on carrying the bags. Within the hour of finding out the news of the sudden arrival to our family, he's already become more protective of me. 

I recognize the wing we're going towards, the family wing. This is where all the high ranked wolves stay, including Boomer. My  nose sniffs for his scent, trying to figure out which hallway he resides in. My thoughts soon answered as we appear in front of a door where the smell is the most potent. 

"Just wait a moment," Luca barks out  entering the room. 

He comes back out a moment later with a set of keys. His foots echo down the hallway when he stops  in front of a door. I see Mateo stiffen in front of me, what is in that room?

"Ah the memories," Luca sneers giving us a shove inside.

My eyes take a few seconds to adjust to the dark room. When I can I finally see the decor, it looks like a teenager's room. Band posters litter the walls, the bed is covered in a black comforter, and a guitar rests in a corner.