Chapter One

Dear Stormy,

You need to come out, we're all worried. It's not the end of the world. You and I will find our mates; it's just not each other.

Sincerely,
Adam

I stare at the note with blank eyes. Adam is right, I can't stay up here wallowing in self pity. I need to shower and eat, socializing can come tomorrow.

I drag myself out of my bed and stare into the mirror, while I may be sixteen; I feel like a moody thirteen year old. I may be old enough and mature enough to recognize my mate, but I don't feel any of those things.

My eyes are puffy and red, while my hair is greasy and limp.

After ten minutes in the shower my self confidence grows once again. Don't be weak stormy, you're the future beta, and when you meet your mate you'll be more powerful than before.

I scrub the grime off my body and give myself one last rinse before stepping out into the steamy, chilly air. I quickly wrap myself in a bathrobe and put a towel around my hair.

I step out of my bathroom, leaving the door open so the steam can air out, and tidy up my room.

Discarded heels are on the floor, while my dress is crumbled in the corner. My bed side table is flipped on it's side, while my lamp is smashed into little pieces. My closet is still clean, well somewhat. I'm not a naturally tidy person.

I take my time setting everything as it was, even better than before. I pull out a few items of clothing and undergarments and head back into my bathroom.

I quickly change into what is a normal outfit for me: a breezy dress, and blue jean jacket. I then unwrap my hair and dry it with the towel until it's just slightly wet. My hair comes out in frizzy waves so I just pull it up into a ballet bun. I apply make expertly and slip on shoes.

I'm standing in front of my door, my hand on the knob and my heart racing. It's now or never. I open it flinching at the squeak it makes half way through.

I take two steps out the door when I'm bombarded with a fierce hug by my best friend Chelsea.

"I was so worried about you, the alpha forbade anybody from seeing you and I was, like, she is my best friend you can't stop me! But he said I wouldn't be able to go on a run for a week if I did so I waited and waited. It's been two days since I've seen you, what happened? Do you need chocolate, let's go get you some chocolate. Don't worry, I'm nearly seventeen and haven't met my mate yet, it takes time honey." Chelsea's bubbly personality often leaks into her speech and causes her to ramble.

Most of the time I'm annoyed, but this normal every day thing comforts me.

"Actually Chels, I'm hungry. I just want food and a run. Let's save the chocolate," I suggest.

"You are totally right, chocolate causes acne. Not that you need to worry, me on the the other hand well I have the skin of..." I lose focus on her talking.

My main sense right now is smell. While it's an odd time to be eating there are a few people in the kitchen. I just wanted to be alone.

"I think I'll go on a run first, do you mind if it's by myself?" I ask careful not to upset her unstable emotions.

"Not at all, but let's catch up with dinner. If I were you I would have eaten first, so I could have burned off the calories." She rambles on while I start a fast pace to the back door.

Chelsea has always been concerned with her body, whether it's her weight or face. I personally think she looks like the poster child of the stereotypical werewolf. With an athletic build, her mocha skin and deep brown hair and eyes give the illusion that she's Native American, but in reality she's just Mexican.

I on the other hand, know I'm blessed with a nice body. Similar to Chelsea's with athletic build I'm a bit bustier while she has more hips. My chestnut hair has streaks of auburn from spending too much time in the sun, and the bridge of my nose is dotted with freckles for the same reason. My skin doesn't tan a lot, but it doesn't burn often either. My eyes though are trade mark Stormy, because they are my name.

I quickly strip and deposit my clothes into a small bin, I write my name on the index and card and place it on top. I then shift into my wolf and race deeper into the forest. I let my senses overtake me. My hearing, sight, and smell are heightened.

Most pups think that having a wolf is like having a constant buddy in your head. They're wrong, it's more like an internal instinct that seems separate from your conscience.

I spend hours frolicking outside. When dusk is finally arrives, I run at top speed to the house. I pull on my clothes and run my hands through my hair a few times.

Okay Stormy, knock 'em dead. This didn't effect you you're strong! I tell myself gathering confidence.

I walk into the dining hall to see my mom and the luna talking while fixing a pot of something. The pack makes an effort to host a large dinner twice a month. So glad I came out in time for this.

I take plates out of the cupboard and place them around the table making them as close as possible without cramming them together. People come and go staring at me with worry in their eyes, but I carry on as if nothing had happened.

"Mom, where's Chelsea?" I ask looking around. People have started to show up, but she hasn't yet made an appearance.

"I don't know sweetie, will you start carrying food to the table?"

Ten minutes later the pack is seated. Chelsea was late and didn't get to sit next to me, so I'm stuck between my mom and an old lady who seems to know all about mating. Or so she claims.

"Don't worry, I have a feeling he'll show up sooner than you think." She winks at me before putting some vegetables in her mouth.

Yeah, but with my luck I'm going to be on my deathbed when he does.

_____________________________________________

Before October as a reward for over 500 Votes and 100 followers.

I'm going to ACL weekend one, anybody else. Foster The People and Skrillex are the bae.

| READ | FAN | VOTE | COMMENT | Toodles Michele |