Chapter Five

Destiny has a funny way of making things work; karma has way of screwing things up. Both destiny and karma made its' way into my life the day I got home.

"Alpha, beta, there's a rogue kept in the back room. It's urgent, our prison omegas can't control him." A breathless pack member shouts as soon as we exit the car.

My dad and the alpha quickly walk into the forest, with me being the curious person I am I just had to follow.

It's common knowledge that the pack prison is located in the forest and is run by omegas, the stronger ones of course. But for safety purposes, only a few members of the pack know where exactly where it is. I follow them from a distance so great that I can barely see their bodies running deeper into the woods. We pass by land marks: the lake, caves, and log cabins pass with a blur.

It's not until we come by a large, fallen oak tree that I realize I don't recognize the area. A sneaking suspicion lets me guess that this is where the prison is located. I look out from my hiding place, my dad and alpha Emmet  wait by the tree, suddenly three males come out from an almost invisible entrance. All large with muscles, but nothing like regular pack wolves. Why haven't I seen these people before?

"Beta, we believe they were trying to get information. There was only one and he isn't too big, but he won't shift back. No matter how much we put silver on him." One pipes up.

I peek out from behind the tree I was hiding behind. I can only see their backs but that doesn't matter. One seems to be slightly taller than me with boy like features of flaming red hair, rosy cheeks, and freckles that litter his body. Another towers over my dad; his complexion is dark and his cropped hair nearly blends into his skin. The last one reminds me of Adam in both stature and hair color.

I take a deep sniff to see if any of them are my mate. Thankfully I'm fortunate that none of these omegas have the honor to be my other half. I turn around not finding the situation terribly interesting, and everything is going well until I snap a small twig while tiptoeing away, halting all conversation.

In a flash the two taller ones are dragging me towards the alpha. The other looks as if he is ready to shift in a moments notice in case of an attack. I then cry out in fake pain and shoot my dad puppy dog eyes asking for mercy.

"Andrew, Henry that's my daughter Stormy. Let her snooping nose go," He growls in my direction.

"I was just curious daddy," I mutter looking down.

"Sorry Ms. Mayne," they say in union.

I don't reply. If they had manhandled me in any other situation they  would have been the ones feeling my father's wrath, not me. 

Another guard soon come seemingly out of nowhere and whispers something in first the alpha's ear, then my father's.

"Come on Stormy, I'm needed in the prison, and I don't trust you not to go make a mess of things on your way back." He says gripping my arm tightly.

"I'm not seven anymore daddy," I pout ripping my arm out of his grasp.

"You act like it sometimes," he mumbles under his breath.

Whatever, when I'm beta nobody is going to disrespect me. I'm going to rule with an iron fist, I will as feared as the alpha. If not more so! My mate and I will help the alpha with all his duties and still have a major impact on the pack.

I can see it now. While I'm daydreaming in my head, I don't realize where I'm walking. It's not until I bump into a squishy object do I know I should have been paying attention.

"Oops," I hop to the side.

I then see the person I bumped into, and they took my breath away. Honey blonde hair and hazel eyes met my gaze. He wasn't completely built, but he was taller than me. Normally I wouldn't look twice at a guy like him. But it's definite now, he's my mate!

I then trip backwards after trying to regain my balance from moving so suddenly. Pain meets my back and a shrill scream comes from my mouth. Gasps and hands pull me up and carry me outside. The pain is unbearable. I nearly blackout. Shouting for help and assistance ring through the air.

"Daddy, daddy it hurts," I scream letting tears stream down my face.

My arm is met with two sets of comforting hands. One being my father's and the other belong to my mate. Other hands drift along my body cutting my shirt down the back while I lay on my stomach.

I know what happened, I just don't know why I was so careless. I fell against solid silver bars meant to keep prisoners in. It will take a least a week to heal completely. I'm just lucky I got off right away, otherwise I might have ended up with scars.

Cold compresses are placed along the burns while the salve is being prepared. Then after a few minutes of pure agony a sharp needle is shot into a vein taking away my pain and consciousness.

~:~:~

A steady beat meets my ears and I realize it's my heart. My blood pressure must be high if I can hear my pulse in my ears. I open my eyes to see a dim light and familiar curtains. I'm in my room. I sit up and realize I'm sleeping on my back, but I feel no pain.

I take a a quick look around my room and see my mom sleeping in a chair near the dark window. I rise and tip toe to the bathroom to quench my parched throat. I can't seem to drink enough water. I'm on my forth glass before a voice rings out causing me to drop my glass.

"You know, if you have been out longer than two months a few glasses of water won't fix anything." The honey blonde haired boy says looking me over, surprised to see me up. "We were starting to think you wouldn't wake up."

My eyes grow wide, he had  to wrong. Silver couldn't be that powerful to knock a wolf out with beta blood for over three months. "Two m-months?"

"Two months and fourteen days to be exact," he sneers. Despite his boyish appearance he is dry and blunt.

"What's happened? Where's my father, do you know." I hesitate then whisper," that we're mates..."

"Oh I know, and I'm thrilled to be mated to the beta's princess." He sneers. "I haven't told anyone. You don't have to worry, you're reputation won't be ruined."

"What do you mean?" I ask with a sour feeling growing in my stomach.

"I rejected you while you slept," he stated walking out of the room.

Tears stream down my face, I can't believe he would reject me! Me of all people. What's wrong with me? Sure I'm a little shorter than the average she-wolf, but...me?

Grief over takes all my senses. I hurry around the room careful not to wake my mother. A large duffle bag sits on my bed while I fumble through my drawers and closet looking for clothes. I take everything sensible from sweaters to tank tops. I then drag out my camping gear from under my bed and take out the water filter and sleeping bag.

Survivor training don't fail me now, I think to myself as I open my window.

I let the autumn breeze fill my lungs as I prepare for the fall. I let my duffle bag drop nearly soundlessly on the bushes below. I then slide out with my stomach to the side of the house. I shimmy down until I'm hanging by my fingers.

Then I fall.

__________________________________________

UPDATING EVERY MONDAY TO MAKE THEM A LITTLE LESS DREARY.

Did this turn out like you expected it to? It's long to me...

| READ | FAN | VOTE | COMMENT | Toodles Michele |