1st Prince PoV: A Princess

Once it's been decided and finalised that the successor is Rouct, the Second Prince of Meerschaum Kingdom, my fiancée requests for the annulment of our engagement.

Personally, I have no objection to it. For her sake, since it will damage her reputation more than mine, I am the one who appeals the annulment of our engagement to both of our parents and families.

The annulment of our engagement is accepted without a problem. With this, both she and I are free.

Before leaving the castle with her family as we finished processing the papers, she requests for a private talk. I decided to fulfil her request and guide her to my study room. We sit in front of each other, with a table between us.

We were not close when we were first engaged. And now, years after our engagement to this day, I can see that we have not got any closer at all. It saddens me, although I also feel glad to separate with her. We don't love each other, and I don't think we ever will come to love each other. I envy the relationship Castel has with his fiancée, Litos.

I wonder, will I ever find someone for me, like how Castel found Litos?

"Prince Acehaut," my former fiancée starts, bowing her head to me, "I thank you for taking care of me all these years,"

"You are welcome," I reply, nodding slightly, "I too, thank you for accompany me all these years,"

My former fiancée dips her head slightly.

I wait for her to raise her head and speak what she wants, the reason she calls for this private chat. She does neither. With her head bowed, she once again utters her gratitude to me and excuses herself from my company. I let her go without a single thought of stopping her.

I am a little curious as to why she stops herself from saying more. But, it will be best for us to part ways amicably instead of with tensions running high. Would I regret letting her go just like this? I can't find myself to answer positively.

*

Sometime later, I receive the news from my Younger Brother, Lapace.

"You former fiancée elopes with a knight," Lapace says, at our teatime

I pause in drinking my tea, a black tea brewed personally by Lapace, our resident tea master, to match my taste. I am surprised by the news, and it shows in my expression.

"Whose knight?" I inquire, sipping on my tea as I wait for his reply

"Her personal knight," Lapace says, drinking his own tea, a jasmine flavoured tea

"Ah," I blink and put down the cup as I recall what I know about that person, the knight

He had always been there, staying close to my former fiancée whenever we had our weekly meet up. I never heard him talk, nor did I feel any malice coming from him. But... I wonder, how long have they been in a relationship without me knowing?

"People are demanding their deaths," Lapace continues, watching me. He has also put down his cup on the table, "There are rumours your former fiancée had been unfaithful to you for a long time,"

I nod, acknowledging it. She might have been unfaithful to me... But it's not like we expected things to go well for us either. Perhaps, she had been sabotaging the chances for us to get closer because of her knight all this time. Even so, I do not mind it. Our engagement was arranged by our family. I never thought I would be so lucky as to find someone right for me.

She had known that we would never be able to be happy together for a long time. That's why, once it's confirmed that I am not a Crown Prince, she seized the chance to break off our engagement without her family's protests. Hmm...