Chapter 20

sad chapter. The next one will be the epilogue and it will be a happy(ish) ending.

Daryl was nothing but furious as they arrived at the hospital. The place was packed especially the maternity ward and no one was listening to his pleas.

The pain, emotionally and physically Lorna's felt continued to increase even though the blood flow had slowed.

"My wife is pregnant and she's bleeding!" Daryl shouted at yet another nurse who simple rolled her eyes.

"Sir you need to calm down, there are women here in much serious situations." The nurse replied, sounding bored as she flicked to the next page in her magazine.

Daryl snatched the magazine from the counter and threw it across the room.

"Now you listen here lady, we've already lost one baby, we are not loosing this one too!"

The nurse sighed. "I'll see what we can do, but you're probably best driving to the next hospital."

"The next hospital?" Daryl snapped. "That's almost an hour away!"

She just shrugged and walked away.

Daryl went back to Lorna who had turned incredibly pale and was holding her side.

"It's okay baby, come on. I'm going to take you to another hospital. I've called Merle. He's coming too."

"I don't think I can Daryl. It hurts too much...worse than last time." She cried.

Another women who too was pregnant looked over at Lorna with sympathetically. "You'll be okay sweetie." She whispered patting her hand. "Hey! You, blondie, how's about you get this lady checked in before it's too late for her and her baby. I've just seen you check in that crazy bitch who you all know has jack crap wrong wth her, yet you're leaving her here, bleeding and crying in pain! I'll have your jobs for you, you know!"

The nurses behind the desk all looked at each other, before one finally got on the phone and began to speak to someone.

Lorna looked back at the women weakly. "Thank you." She whispered.

"Go on girl." She said patting her knee as a man appeared with a wheelchair for Lorna. "You make sure you keep them safe." The women told Daryl.

"Don't you worry, I will." Daryl stated honestly as he followed Lorna and the man down the corridors.

-

It was all so unreal, like something you would see on a television drama.

Lorna was screaming in pain, doctors and nurses flooded the room, alarms were being set off and Daryl had been forced to leave.

All he had heard was that the baby's head was pressed against the cord and was restricting the blood flow to him or her.

The last he saw was Lorna being prepped for surgery.

As he paced the waiting room he couldn't help but feel something bad had happened. His heart ached and not just from seeing Lorna in so much pain. It was so much worse than that.

When he saw Merle walk through the door, he did something neither of the suspected. He rushed towards him and hugged him tightly as he cried.

He feared he had lost them both.

Merle didn't say a thing, worried he would say something to upset his brother more.

Instead he allowed Daryl to cry and let all his emotion out.

-

Hours past and neither heard a word from anyone.

Merle was constantly shouting at any nurse or doctor that past, trying to force information out of them, but no one could tell them anything.