THE THIRD LETTER

THE THIRD LETTER

harry,

a month has gone by since letter two and i've had a lot of time to reflect upon the questions i asked at the end. the answer is no, i'm currently not happier without you. the other answer is yes, you're happier without me because you have a new girlfriend. she seems nice.

i want to ask how everyone is, but i know i won't get a response. sometimes i wonder whether that's another one of the reasons why we broke up, harry. were you jealous of the amount of time i spent with simon and the others? you tried to hide it, but i saw the looks you gave simon when he hugged me just that little bit to tight or too long.

therefore:

3. your jealousy

it wasn't horrible. it was flattering to know that you cared about me that much in all honesty. one time you accused me of doing it on purpose and it hurt to hear, but after that i made sure i gave you more attention than you probably deserved.

i think the others were upset with you for it. i was their friend too, not just your girlfriend. i was undoubtedly closest to simon, but i made sure not to get too cosy with him for your benefit. you seemed a little better for a while, but there were still little comments and looks you gave me that pushed me away from them.

eventually i just stopped going to see them with you because i didn't want the arguments. it stung to do, but it seemed to make you happier.

i understand why you were jealous. you know i had a history of cheating and you probably thought i would cheat on you, which eventually did end up happening and i regret it everyday. but you made me feel so alone. you isolated me from them and in turn i grew lonelier by the day. a mixture of too much alcohol and loneliness is a recipe for disaster, as we both found out.

but that's for another letter, another day.

i'm not so lonely now. no, i haven't moved on, but i have my sister. she let me move in with her after our break up and im yet to move out.

i don't want to move out.

im scared to move out.

sorry.

love, marnie x