THE THIRTEENTH LETTER [NOT SENT]

harry,

i just got your letter and i wanted to write my response before i called you because i'm a bundle of nerves. this isn't a letter i think i'll ever send, but i think writing it will help me to settle my stomach before i call you for the first time in two years.

first of all, it's two years as of tomorrow since we broke up, but here i am with the phone beside my paper because i'm about to call you.

it's crazy to think that i'm about to hear your voice for the first time in that long. i feel like a school girl all over again, as weird as that sounds, and i don't think i could write any faster if i tried to.

my throat is dry and my lungs feel heavy, but i'm ok. these are just nerves.

but i hate that i'm nervous. i hate it so much because i'm going to talk to the person i love, which is something so many people aren't able to do. i should be happy, jumping with joy and smiling like im on top of the world, so why am i so nervous that my hands are shaking as i form these words to you?

maybe i should just call you. get it over and done with, but putting it like that makes it sound like i don't want to talk to you. i do want to talk to you. i want nothing more, but the fear of rejection is too much to handle.

how do i know that you want the same as i do?

i'm calling you now.

love, marnie