Chapter Two

It was the weekend, and I had nothing to do. It didn't help that I was on house arrest until Monday. I had nothing to do, since my plans were forcefully canceled by my overprotective parents.

I lay in bed until around one in the afternoon, blocking the sunlight out of my room with my blinds and curtains. The blades on my fan rotated, giving me cool air as I lay tucked under the covers of my bed.

After another fifteen minutes or so, from under my pillow, my phone vibrated. I pulled it out, dimming the screen before unlocking it to read the message displayed on the dim sccreen

It was from Evelyn.

Are you sure that you can't come to the library?

I sighed, beginning to type out my response. She already knew the answer, but needed me to confirm again. Although I knew I couldn't go, there was a way that I could go with them.

Yeah, but if you can park your car down the street in 30, I'll sneak out the window.

I waited a minute for her reply, knowing that she was checking in with Grace to make sure that worked out.

Yeah, that'll work. Grace will be with me. See you then.

I clicked off my phone, sitting up. I stretched, before moving to change into some jeans and a black shirt. I buttoned a flannel over it, stuffing my feet into shoes. I tied the laces, tucking them into the shoes to avoid stepping on them and untying while I walked.

Moving to the bathroom, I avoided the mirror as I rinsed my face. I despised my childish appearance; no matter what I didn't, I always seemed younger than other my age. I was often mistaken for a younger child, which never failed to annoyed me.

"Mom?" I waited for a response from my parents' bedroom, tapping my foot against the floor.

"Yes?" The voice that answered me was tired and worried. It was, after all, the time that my parents dreaded most. If they had any idea of what was about to take place, they may have tied me down. Well, they at least would've scolded me and then brought me into their room to keep an eye on me, to make sure I couldn't actually go.

"I'm gonna hang out in my room for today." I lied, shifting my weight.

"Okay. We're going to rest in here. Let us know if you need anything, and don't leave the house."

I closed my bedroom door, checking my watch. Only ten minutes had passed, and I decided to go ahead and leave. There wasn't any harm in being early.

Passing by the photo of my fraternal sister, I tapped it once before continuing on. I didn't like to remember the memories of my sister, only her face and her personality.

I lifted up the window, listening for the dog. When I didn't hear anything, I peered out, searching for him. Once the coast was clear, I pulled back in, before swinging my legs out and jumping down. I pulled up a brick, standing on it before closing my window and replacing the brick.

I ran to the edge of the property, walking into the ditch on the other side of the trees that marked our property line. From then on, I stayed in the ditch, in order to avoid being spotted by my dog, or parents, who would both immediately come after me.

I headed to the abandoned house that was about half a mile from my house, the place that Grace, Evelyn and I always met at whenever one of us was required to sneak out in order to go somewhere, which was quite often.

It was a good distance for walking, but the entire time, I felt as if I was being watched, though I incessantly checked over my shoulder, determined to not be jumped, as it wasn't uncommon in the area I lived in.

But no matter what I did, I felt like prey under a watchful eye. I couldn't avoid the feeling, but I hoped that it was nothing.

Nothing could go wrong today, could it? At least, besides me getting caught by my parents.