Chapter Three

I was sitting on the steps of the abandoned house when Evelyn's car pulled up. I stood, brushing my jeans off as the car stopped. Grace stuck her head out of the passenger's side, beckoning me towards them. I sat behind Evelyn in the car, the window rolled down as she drove. I ducked my head as we passed my cousin's store, unwilling to be caught so early on.

"So, what are we doing after the library?" Evelyn glanced into the mirror, looking at me, speeding the car up. "How long do you have?"

I stuck my finger through a rip in my jeans as I answered. "Probably several hours. It sounded like they weren't getting up much today, and hopefully if they call for me, they'll think that I'm sleeping or listening to music"

Evelyn nodded. "There's a party at the abandoned building around four. Think you can make it?"

I smiled at her reflection. "If I have a ride."

The abandoned building that she was talking about was the building that was originally a prison, before turning into a factory. That didn't last long, and it was quickly deserted, before turning into a hot spot for parties. The building even had the original cells, and it was rumored that it was haunted, as several people had died in the prison, and even the factory.

We hummed along to the music as we sped down the road, passing dirty children and drugged-up adults, all whom watched us pass by without a care in the world.

"So, your parents are paranoid about the Joker coming to town?" Grace's lips curled into a smile as she spoke, resulting in an aggravated sigh from me, accompanied with a nod.

"They're my parents, what do you expect? After the accident, they're terrified of harm coming to me, much less me dying." I shook my head. "It's not like we even see him. School isn't even cancelled. I don't get why it's so scary to them."

"Well, I mean, you are their last child." Evelyn shrugged, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel. "They've gotta have an excuse to keep you on even more lock down than usual."

I nodded, agreeing with her statement. "They're just overprotective fools, that's all," I mumbled, resting my forehead against the window. "I do have a life, and I'd love to live it while I'm still able."

Grace and Evelyn grinned at each other. They were used to my rants about my parents, and it was amusing to them. They both had parents who didn't mind if they were out while the Joker was in town. Grace's parents were always too busy with her little brother, and Evelyn had too many siblings for her parents to keep track of. They didn't mind what she did, as long as she didn't break any laws. However, my parents had been lenient when my sister was still alive. After her death, which everyone annoyingly referred to as the "accident", they locked down on me. Suddenly, I had an early curfew, I wasn't supposed to go anywhere without out telling one of my parents first, and the list went on.

My sisters' death wasn't an accident. Someone had purposely murdered my sister, just two weeks after her boyfriend was killed under "mysterious circumstances". Her body was found below a building, most of the major bones in her body broken, including a fractured skull. The police ruled that she had fallen off of the roof of the building she was found at, but I seriously doubted that.

"I thought that maybe we could... go by the graves after the library," Evelyn said quietly.

I looked up at them. Their faces were tense, how they usually were while we talked about my sister and her boyfriend. It was a touchy subject ever since I screamed at Evelyn and Grace for mentioning her before completely breaking down. My reaction to my sister being mentioned was different nearly every time.

I nodded. "That's fine. I haven't been since yesterday before school, so I need to go." I knew that everyone thought that I needed to stop going to their graves. It had been nearly a week, but I wasn't going to stop soon. She was my sister, and I missed her. I didn't want her to be dead, but I couldn't bring her back. All I could do was visit where she was buried, think about her, and look at her pictures.

A/N

I'm sorry about how these chapters keep getting shorter and shorter. I have so little time to write anymore, and if I'm not writing this book, I'm re-writing The Walking Dead Season One, writing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, at marching band practice, or reading a book from my library.

These chapters will hopefully all balance around 600-800 words. Again, it's a lot shorter than my other books, but this is just a book that I decided to write. I may actually begin to write closer to 1,000 words, since these chapters seem so short to me.

This book will most likely not be accurate to everything in the DC universe. It's my book, and therefore it's what I want to write gets published. I'll add things, and take out things.

Please vote, comment and leave feedback. I love knowing what you all think about my works.