14 || False Hope

Newt awoke blindly from his nightmare. He shot up from his hammock and almost fell out as it swung wildly about. Last night had not been pleasant. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw her. He saw her body.

It was still early so nobody was up yet. The Doors would not reopen for a couple of hours. Newt was both dreading and looking forward to that moment.

Dread because he knew they would find the inevitable.

But somewhere inside of him, he had hope. He had clung desperately to it. He would not give up. Not until those wretched Doors opened and showed him that they weren't coming back.

Despite the several hours wait he would have to endure, he still began to limp towards the vast walls which opened into the Maze. He knew there was no chance of him going back to sleep.

When he was close enough to touch them, he leant his back to the cold stone and sank slowly to the ground and tried to think of anything except what they might find when the Doors did finally open.

~~~

The second in command snapped out of his thoughts when he heard someone else slide down the wall next to him.

Glancing over, he saw — to his surprise — that it was Gally.

"Can't sleep?" The Builder asked, sighing.

Newt shook his head slowly in reply and returned his glance to the patch of dirt next to his feet.

"You and me both," Gally agreed solemnly.

In any other situation, Newt would have been surprised at the soft tone in the other boy's voice but he knew that Gally cared for Y/N. He never understood why the two had befriended each other. It wasn't that Newt hated Gally, but he wasn't the easiest boy to get along with. Somehow, Y/N had formed a close friendship with the Builder over the years.

So, as the Gladers began to stir in their hammocks, the two boys sat side by side, waiting and watching.

~~~

It was almost time. The Doors would open in less than five minutes. Most of the other Gladers had already joined Newt and Gally as they stood in front of the smooth stone.

Four minutes.

Newt's hand involuntarily bounced up and down on his thigh as they waited.

Three minutes.

Chuck pushed through the mass of awaiting boys and joined him at the front.

Two minutes.

The final boys had reach the crowd and stood at the very back, craning their necks to get a better view.

One minute.

With every tick of his small watch, Newt could feel his heart pounding painfully in his chest.

At last, the boys could hear the familiar banging which reverberated through the Glade walls. Ever so slowly, the Doors began to rumble outwards. Now they could see through the first crack of the opening. It was empty. There was no one there. To Newt, it felt like someone was stabbing repeatedly through his chest. They weren't there.

They waited. And they waited. Nothing happened.

Most of the Gladers were already dispersing, muttering under their breath. But no one was particularly surprised. The reality of it all dawned on Newt and he realised that there was never any hope to begin with.

So, with a sickening feeling festooning in his stomach, the second in command turned and began to limp back to the Homestead. Only Chuck remained.

The young boy let out an audible gasp and started to point and yell, "I can see them! Newt, they're there! Look! Down there at the end!"

The boys, who had almost reached the sturdy structure, turned back in disbelief. Newt had already began a limping run to the edge of the Maze.

Sure enough, Chuck was right. Four figures were in view now. They made it! Newt couldn't help a smile spread across his tired face.

As they drew closer however, the boys realised something was wrong. Alby was being supported solely by Minho. Y/N was being supported by Thomas. She wasn't moving. The two boys struggled to drag their limp bodies along.

"We need the Med-jacks!" Someone behind him yelled but Newt didn't bother turning to see who it was. His eyes were transfixed on Y/N.

Was she dead?

~~~

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah