28 || Anticipation

Your POV:

The hushed voices that whispered from every corner of the room hadn't died down. Sleep was unthinkable. The whole room was tense and on edge.

The Grievers still moaned and clanked from somewhere around you. Waiting. Watching. With every spine-chilling groan, you were sure it would be the last one you ever heard. But still you waited.

No one knew what to do, so they did the only thing they could. Try to forget. Try to cling onto the one constant in the Glade. Hope. It was what had driven us all to carry on fighting. It was what everyone here shared. It kept you together.

Newt ushered you, along with Minho, Thomas and Alby, into one of the small rooms leading off from the main entrance. He began talking as soon as he shut the door behind him.

"Those bloody Creators either want us dead or are givin' us a push and we ain't givin' up that easily."

Minho was nodding fervently beside you. "I'm with you. We gotta quit feeling sorry for ourselves. We can organise teams that study the Maps while some of us Runners can go out into the Maze. Stay out there a few days maybe."

Alby's head snapped around, looking startled. "Days? What do you mean days?"

Seeing where Minho was going, you intervened, "Exactly. With the Doors not closing, it would be a better use of our time anyway. We wouldn't have to keep coming back here."

"We need to see if the Walls still move," Minho insisted to the leader.

Alby wasn't having it. "No way, how can you ask anyone here to volunteer themselves like that?"

"I would do it, Thomas too," Minho suggested bravely, Thomas nodded to confirm his words.

"Me too," You announced, having made up your mind and everyone turned to you, startled.

"You're still healing. No way will I let you go out there running all day. Remember what happened to you last time?" Newt protested, looking panic-stricken.

You turned to face him defiantly. "Look Newt, I love you, but you can't tell me to stay here while my friends go out doing my job without me. I've practically healed and yes, I may now be even more scared of the Grievers than before but that won't matter if they can come into the Glade anyway. We need answers and the more of us out there, the better. So I'm going. None of you can say otherwise."

The others looked impressed but Newt didn't look happy.

Minho grinned and nodded to you, "That's sorted then. Right Newt?"

Newt looked miserable but nodded begrudgingly all the same. "Then I'll go too, if I have to."

"With that leg of yours?" Alby sneered harshly.

You let out a sharp intake of breath and took Newt's hand but Newt didn't look angry. "I just don't feel comfortable asking the others to do something which I'm not comfortable doing myself."

Alby sighed, "Look, I know I screwed up. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be stupid leader anymore." Everyone stared at him, preparing to argue. "Look, I'm not saying we switch but I shouldn't make the decisions. I don't trust myself."

Newt nodded hesitantly. "We'll make it work."

"How about you put me in charge of the Maps?" Alby suggested.

"Works for me," Minho nodded and everyone agreed.

Alby shook his head. "We shouldn't have been in here tonight; we should have been working on the Maps."

"Probably," You shrugged, "Not much we can do now the Grievers are out there."

"I should go. Right now." Alby stood up confidently.

You couldn't believe it. The Grievers had been moaning and groaning outside for a while now. Any move could be suicide. "What? No way! Have you heard it out there?"

"I gotta do this. I need this. See you shanks in the morning." So, without giving anyone time to react, he strode to the door and left without another word.

~~~

I know it's a bit late but happy 2017! Hope this year actually goes well. So, good luck!

Thanks so much for 13k reads! I really appreciate all your support.

I wanna make more internet friends if anyone's interested in talking?

Hope you enjoyed!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah