36 || Betrayal

Your POV:

You had done it. After two years of fighting for survival in the treacherous Maze, you had made it out.

Turning to your friends, you grinned back at the relieved faces before you. You laughed joyously, "We did it! We're free!" Or so you thought.

Taking in a deep breath, you reached for the handle and turned. It swung open. Darkness greeted you. There was no movement from outside. Frowning slightly, you turned back to the others. "Shouldn't there be people here? I thought we were being watched?"

Thomas shrugged and shared you confused look, "It's too quiet. The Creators should be here."

Newt tentatively took a step out the door, followed by the small group of you who remained.

An loud warning siren echoed through the deserted corridor. With a bang, the lights flickered on, revealing a horrific sight in front of you.

Bodies were splayed out in uncomfortable positions; some with guns clutched in their unmoving hands, others with clipboards and various scientific equipment, all with gun wounds to the head. Broken glass littered the floor and bullet holes could be seen in every wall. The computer screens glowed eerily in the semi-darkness of the emergency lights. Chaos had struck the small interior of the room.

"What happened here?" Someone whispered but no one could reply, for you were wondering the same. We all took several steps into the heart of the Creators' base. Newt stepped forward to examine one of the many screens dotted around the room.

Many of them showed pictures of the Glade. Their own spy system. They had watched every minute of your torture and had done nothing. They had caused it. Anger flushed through you but it was pointless.

"So they were watching us," Newt confirmed bitterly, "This whole time."

Another noise came from behind you. A woman, dressed in all white, appeared on the screen before you.

"Hello, my name is Doctor Ava Paige and I am the Chancellor of the World In Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department. If you're watching this, it means you have have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seem to have prevented it."

In the background of the screen, the scientists seemed to be becoming more and more agitated and their actions more hurried. The Gladers around you exchanged confused looks. By now, you were all clustered around the glowing image.

"I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember but the sun has scorched our world. Millions perished from fire, famine; suffering on a global scale, the fallout was unimaginable."

More confused and now slightly scared looks were shared among you and your friends.

"What came after was worse. We called it the Flare."

You sucked in a breath. Alby had mentioned that after he was stung. So he wasn't crazy. Maybe he had been right all along.

"A deadly virus that attacks the brain. Violent, unpredictable, incurable — or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly there was reason to hope for cure. But it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed inside harsh environments where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand what makes them different. What makes you different."

Everyone looked around in shock as the woman in front of you tired to justify each one of your friends' sacrifice. So many had died. Surely, what they discovered couldn't have made up for the many tragedies all of you had experienced?

"You may not realise it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you will soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you."

Men, dressed all in black, filed into the room on the screen before you. Each held a gun and you watched in horror as they shot down everyone in their wake.

"The outside world awaits. Remember. . ."

The men in black turned to face the Chancellor and began firing rapidly at the screen protecting her. It shattered in a matter of seconds but the woman on the screen before you hardly flinched.

Ava Paige brought out a gun and placed it on her own forehead. "WICKED is good." Then she pulled the trigger and the screen turned to static.

Everyone gasped and many turned away. You could see your own horror reflected in their eyes. Turning, you saw the fallen body of Doctor Paige that lay still behind a fallen chair, surrounded by broken glass.

Beside you, a door hissed open, making you all jump in surprise. "Is it over?" Chuck asked from your right.

"She said we were important," Newt said, "What are we supposed to do now?"

Everyone turned expectantly to Thomas. It seemed he too was at a loss for what to do. "I don't know. . ." He whispered. "Let's get out of here."

A voice, one you thought you would never hear again, spoke from behind you. "No." For the second time, Gally had survived the impossible. But for the first time, he was holding a gun. . .

~~~

Only 2 chapters left!

Decided to use the film version for this bit.

Hope you enjoyed!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah