z e r o | empty

im excited for this. but i made it a little dark and mysterious, so just a heads up, it's gonna be a long a ss ride.

🕸

SEREIN
(n.)
the fine, light rain
that falls from
a clear sky
at sunset or
in the early hours
of the night.

nine years ago :

❝ once upon a time, there was— ❞

the boring tone of their caretaker made the eldest, mark, yawn. it wasn't the first time he read this story to them, and it wasn't the second time either; or the third, or the forth.

mark's head tilted towards the many open doors of rooms; there were enough to fit him and the other six children living in the orphanage with him. though, the one door at the very end of the long hallway was ajar, and sparked the curiosity of the ten year-old.

as mark was seated at the corner of the group, he could easily make his escape without the caretaker noticing. he then took careful, silent steps towards the room, looking over his shoulder ever so often to make sure that he wouldn't be caught.

but just as he reached the door, it creaked wider. mark stood in fear as whatever was moving it beheld itself.

his caretaker. but he was sure he was back there with the other kids.

" where do you think you're going, all alone? "

" i... i just wanted to...see the room here... "

"sir," the caretaker finished off, and mark started nodding.

"s-sir."

the caretaker smiled. his gel-up hair made his hair so sleek and solid, there wasn't a strand of his blonde hair out of hair. the smile he gave mark after that was terrifying in his eyes.

" there's no need to, mark. there's nothing for you to see. "

" it's an empty room? " mark questioned, and he forced out a stiff nod.

" yes, mark. it's completely empty. now go. "

mark was convinced. ten year-olds weren't old enough to know the terrors of lying, and so he obeyed, and headed off his way back.

but just as he reached the colorful mat where the other kids sat at, there the caretaker was, reading off a new page of the book, as though he had never left at all.