n i n e | hope

❝ i told you, hyung. ❞

jeno was with mark that night after making sure that jisung was in bed and more or less asleep. the two shared similar thoughts regarding the caretaker, who broke their trust completely.

jeno suspected that maybe there weren't just abandoned children. they weren't just lost boys. there was something else to their incomplete life stories.

and mark knew that the caretaker had something to do with it.

" first thing's first, we need to eat another piece of gum. "

" doesn't jisung— "

mark shook his head before jeno could finish his sentence. the one time he gave him a piece, he felt absolutely nothing. there was something different about the gum the caretaker gave them.

" we need to get it from the caretaker, but he probably won't give us any. i think...we need to steal some, jeno. "

jeno stared at mark for a long moment and pressed his lips into a thin line.

" how? "

mark shrugged, " i don't know, but we need to figure it out soon. you're with me, right? "

the two shared a smile as jeno nodded. mark noticed his face fall after that.

" what's wrong? "

jeno hesitated a moment before meeting his eyes. he seemed a little uncertain to ask, but mark flashed him a small smile that made him carry on.

" hyung, do... do you think we'll actually get to go home? "

mark paused at the question. he didn't know himself. in simple words, he was scared to return to his parents.

what if they didn't remember him? what if they didn't love him anymore?

but seeing jeno almost shaking and so hopeful of his answer, mark could only sigh and put on his most convincing smile. if there was something he wanted to hear, then he might as well say it.

" of course. don't worry, you'll be back with your family soon, jeno. "

" you... you think so? "

" i know so. "

and that was all it took for jeno to smile again. right when he did, mark knew that he made the right choice, even if he wasn't confident about the desired outcome.

" thanks, hyung. "

mark let out a little laugh. " what for? "

jeno's face softened a little as he thought of a reply. he chuckled, and mark was proud he managed to get back jeno's spark of hope, but felt his heart clench a little at his next words.

" for believing me, i guess. i only have you, hyung. "