Chapter 40: Contact

Optimus and Ratchet each grabbed one of the scouts arms and helped him stand. He took a step and stumbled a little. They continued to hold on, so he wouldn't fall as he took a few more steps.

"Why is he still struggling?" Sari asked as she frowned. Raf stood by her and pointed.

"See how the metal plating is twisted in on one side?" The boy said. "His leg might be repaired..... but it's probably uncomfortable and hurts a little." He whispered. She looked at him for a moment then nodded slowly.

"You know a lot about them, don't you?" She said. He nodded in response and smiled a little.

"It's so I can help when they need it. Plus it's good to know your friends." He smiled at her. Sari blushed a little and looked back at the bots.

Bumblebee struggled to walk straight and narrowed his optics in concentration. He kept pushing himself to do better, and slowly let go of the others. He limped around and was quite wobbly. He stopped after a moment and panted heavily from the strain.

"Easy kid." Doc bot mumbled. The scout took a shaky step and started to fall. Optimus quickly caught him.

"Careful Bumblebee!" Ratchet snapped as he looked over at him. "You need to take it slow." He muttered.

"Whirrrr beee vooo." Bumblebee chirped as Optimus helped him stand up. Ratchet sighed and pinched the bridge of an imaginary nose.

"I know you're anxious to get back, but we can't even do that yet." He sighed in exasperation. "If I could contact them we would be one step closer." He muttered as he walked over to the bot. He crouched down and inspected the still twisted metal. He realized it was making it hard for him to walk. He frowned and walked away to grab somethings. He came back with some random materials.

"You probably won't like this...." he muttered as he worked. "But this will help you walk and support the leg. That is until we can get back and repair the plating. I'll have all my tools then." He mumbled the last part as he tightened the thing he built.

Bumblebee grinned as he looked at the splint. He walked a little and smiled bigger when he shook less. It was still a little difficult and uncomfortable, but he didn't care. After awhile he got tired and leaned against the wall. He panted quietly as he rested for a moment.

"You're still recovering kid." The doctor grumbled. "Save your strength for when you need to travel." He mumbled. He nodded slowly as his legs wobbled. He pushed himself from the wall and started to go down again. Optimus quickly caught him and helped him back to the berth.

"Bumblebee." Ratchet said warningly as he narrowed his optics. The scout chirped and warbled weakly. He laid down and relaxed as he rested. The medic sighed and walked out the room.

"I'm going to try again to reach the others." He mumbled as he walked out.

~

Boss bot had ordered Bulkhead and Bee to go find the forge. He went with the others to repair the city. Doc bot remained in the medical bay while Optimus kept an eye on Bumblebee. Raf sat on the console as he helped Ratchet at the computer.

They had managed to get through for a second, but it didn't hold. Raf walked to a keypad and started typing. Ratchet was currently looking the relic over, and trying to find the right combination. He knew if he could find it they could get home.

Ratchet stopped suddenly and furrowed his optic ridges as he felt a small pain. He set a servo over his spark chamber and grunted quietly as he closed his optics. His face plate twisted in pain and he winced again.

Raf stopped working and watched. He walked up to the top of the console and sat down quietly. He remembered how Megatron had tried to crush the bots spark before Bumblebee attacked him. He shuddered a little at the memory. The medic shook his helm slowly and bent over the relic to work.