six

Wonwoo never really sat with anybody at lunch; instead he preferred his own company and would go to the cafeteria as quickly as possible to buy his lunch before taking his food onto the school roof. He wasn't really sure if he was allowed to be up there, but he did it anyway because he was a good student and knew he wouldn't get in too much trouble, and also because he felt a lot closer to the sky that way and it was calming after stressful lessons.

His plans of peace and quiet for that lunch were ruined, nonetheless, when he felt a tap on his shoulder in the serving line at the cafeteria and someone saying, "hey, Wonwoo!" However, when he turned around to see who the person was that had disturbed him, he didn't mind so much when he came face to face with a smiling Kim Mingyu.

"Hey," Wonwoo replied, "did you need anything?"

Mingyu shrugged. "No, I was just wondering if you wanted to work on the project some more this lunch," he explained, taking a lunch tray from the side and moving along the queue.

Wonwoo thought about Mingyu's suggestion for a while before nodding. "Sure, that sounds good."

The two boys were handed a carton of banana milk each and a plateful of black bean noodles with rice cakes from the dinner lady behind the counter of the cafeteria and Mingyu followed Wonwoo as they left the doors of the cafeteria and headed up the stairs towards the roof.

"Where are we going?" asked Mingyu, as Wonwoo held one of the stairway doors open for him to step through.

"I like to sit on the roof at lunch," Wonwoo replied, earning a 'huh' from the taller boy behind him.

The two walked in quiet for the rest of the stairs to the roof, before finally reaching the top of the building. Wonwoo blinked as the light from the outside sun hit his eyes and he held the roof emergency door open for Mingyu with his back while balancing his meal tray in his hands.

"Are we even allowed up here?" Mingyu questioned, taking a seat next to Wonwoo at a fairly safe distance from the edge of the roof.

Wonwoo shrugged. "No idea," he admitted.

"Thug life," Mingyu replied, laughing and puncturing the foil on his milk carton with his straw.

A silence fell over the two of them, apart from the occasional noise of the straws slurping or the wind in their ears. It wasn't a comfortable silence exactly, as the two had only met twice before, but it wasn't exactly awkward either. Mingyu decided to speak up and lift the quiet.

"So you like space and I like plants, huh? That's not much in common, really. We need to find something to do for this crusty ass project," said Mingyu, poking the remaining rice cakes on his plate with his chopsticks.

Wonwoo held a hand to his head to prevent the wind blowing in his face. "We'll find something out. The project doesn't even matter, anyway."

"Yeah, but you seem nice and it would be cool to find something in common," Mingyu pointed out.

"I guess," said Wonwoo, looking up at the taller boy next to him, "what other things do you like doing?"

Mingyu shrugged. "Sleeping, eating, watching TV, that's pretty much it really."

"Aren't those just things everyone likes to do?"

"I don't know, I mean, my interest in eating food is a lot bigger than the average person's."

Wonwoo laughed as Mingyu picked up a clump of noodles with his chopsticks, popping it into his mouth. He finished his mouthful before pointing at his now empty plate with a comment of, "see what I mean?" Wonwoo laughed again and sipped some of his banana milk.

The quiet fell over the two again and Wonwoo finished up his meal, putting his tray to one side and folding his knees so he could rest his chin on them. Mingyu cast a glance over at him and smiled, doing the same. He moved from the position after about a minute, pulling out the same notebook he had at the coffee shop before and flipping it to the 'Wonwoo' page.

"So what else do you like?" Mingyu asked, "because I told you about my generic interests but all I know about you is that you like space."

Wonwoo knitted his eyebrows together and hummed a little in thought. "I just stay in my room, really. I like to read books."

Mingyu added the word 'bookworm' to the page and looked expectantly at Wonwoo, encouraging him to say more.

"I like quiet places, I guess, and cats," said Wonwoo, "I don't have too many interests."

"Ah, I'm a dog person," Mingyu replied, "but I guess that means you get that pussy, am I right?" He shot a cheesy grin at Wonwoo who only looked at him and groaned in disgust, but a faint trace of a laugh escaping from his lips anyway.

"You're gross," Wonwoo laughed, standing up and brushing his legs down from sitting on the dirty roof.

"Just call me Mingross."

Wonwoo pulled out his phone and clicked on Mingyu's contact name.

"What are you doing on your phone?" Mingyu asked, picking up their lunch trays to put back in the cafeteria to be washed up.

Wonwoo smiled. "Changing your contact name to 'Mingross'."

"I can't believe you, really, just you wait until I get a nickname for you."

"And then maybe weird contact names could be our common interest for that project."

guys i am so shook rn did anyone else see the infinite teaser i am nutting so hard it looks like a dark concept what was all that satanic shit at the start i am so excited please save me i dont think ill live when the mv or teaser photos or something comes out because dongwoo and sunggyu kill me everyday so it was nice knowing you anyway ily all thanks so much for reading♡♡♡♡